🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Changing RPGs

Started by
1 comment, last by Ketchaval 23 years, 9 months ago
What flaws do you think that current computer roleplaying games have that make them less enjoyable / how could they be improved upon ? 1. Making me talk to every character in the game, in order to get essential or fun info / quests, or to move the plot on. This is one of my pet peeves in computer rpgs, I am not suggesting that rpgs should forgoe depth of NPC peoples, but that the way in which such things are handled is often unpleasant and annoying and reduces one''s ability to roleplay the character that you want to play. The ideal situation would be that there were the bare minimum of essential character that HAVE to be talked to, and everything else is just a cooly integrated extra for people who wish to interact with them. Ie. In Baldur''s Gate, you had to talk to most people in order to open up areas of the map. This was exceedingly annoying, as you didn''t was necessary to talk with to do this. More annoying was the fact that this gameplay mechanic reduced the cool feeling that my character and their party were exploring unknown territory. It would have been far better if Baldur''s Gate had had a system like Fallout 2, where you can wonder the map and find random encounters and city locations by your own volition. (originally posted at www.ttlg.com )
Advertisement
First, more RPGs period!

Then, more non-fantasy RPGs!!!!! C''mon, what about the Old West? Ancient Egypt? Atlantis? China, during 1600s? I''d love to see more hard science fiction settings, as well.

Next, I''d like more flexible conversation with NPCs. NLP''s a bit too advanced for today''s processors, but even something like Eliza would be an improvement. If not that, then a flexible method of creating abstract conversations.

Other things...
Better combat systems. I want to be able to use height, and cover. Fallout combat in the desert became repetitive because of this. I also want to be able to pull my punches and not do full damage.

Also, more detailed combat alternatives. Can we make role-playing a noncombatant interesting? Can you win as a healer/doctor, or as a kniving spy?

Physics simulation on the levels would be nice, too. Flowing water, explosions that knock you back, old leaking floors that can collapse.

BTW, one a side note, I saw an article in PC Gamer about Fallout 2: The designers were saying that, because some people missed certain NPCs that they put a lot of effort into, they were going to make the 12 or so detailed ones central to the game.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by Ketchaval

What flaws do you think that current computer roleplaying games have that make them less enjoyable / how could they be improved upon ?
1. Making me talk to every character in the game, in order to get essential or fun info / quests, or to move the plot on.

This is one of my pet peeves in computer rpgs, I am not suggesting that rpgs should forgoe depth of NPC peoples, but that the way in which such things are handled is often unpleasant and annoying and reduces one''s ability to roleplay the character that you want to play.

The ideal situation would be that there were the bare minimum of essential character that HAVE to be talked to, and everything else is just a cooly integrated extra for people who wish to interact with them.

Ie. In Baldur''s Gate, you had to talk to most people in order to open up areas of the map. This was exceedingly annoying, as you didn''t was necessary to talk with to do this.

More annoying was the fact that this gameplay mechanic reduced the cool feeling that my character and their party were exploring unknown territory. It would have been far better if Baldur''s Gate had had a system like Fallout 2, where you can wonder the map and find random encounters and city locations by your own volition.

(originally posted at www.ttlg.com )

I would perfer having it so that talking to certain NPCs and getting certain info would help you to find alternative solutions to quests, but you wouldn''t absolutely have to.

Like talking to a certain NPC would enable you to find out a back door to a certain location etc

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement