🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Short RPG?

Started by
4 comments, last by Whirlwind 23 years, 9 months ago
Is a short RPG a good way to demo a game engine?
Advertisement
Well, it''s certainly better than nothing. Besides, if you start with a reasonable goal like a ''small'' RPG, then you''re probably more likely to finish it. And once you finish, you might decide to expand upon it. At the very least, you''d have a finished product of some sort that you can show people. (ie. all of us here on GDnet)
Well .. what kind of game engine is it ?
Because, usually, RPG are more reknown for their plot than for their graphics ain''t they ?
But I guess if we start this, we are gonna start a war between MadKeith and Landfish, or something ...
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I think it would be a great demo for an user-extensible game engine (a la Neverwinter Nights (drool-drool)). If your game is meant to be a framework for future modules, a small, short module is a good way to demo the game. You''ll need something significantly involved if you want the game to hit the shelves for more than $6.95, though.

Pax
p
I was thinking of a plot along the lines of ''kill every goblin between you and the big bad goblin at the end'' or something . Actually, more of a retreive an item, make it back.
I would probably recommend just doing the first "level" just to demo the game, and get the engine down first. that way...if everything works...then you can continue with the rest of the game. the first level could have a little sub plot with a goal and everything so it seems like it "could" be a whole game....such as "enter the temple and retrieve the sacred golden dagger"

then in the larger scope of the game...the dagger could be stolen from your or something....

-Luxury

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement