🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

What kind of games pay?

Started by
13 comments, last by Jester101 23 years, 9 months ago
You can make a living writing your own games and selling them yourself. There are a number of independent developers who manage that, and some are earning respectable amounts doing it.

The market is big enough now that you can carve out a small niche for yourself and be profitable. You may not ever be noticed by the big game magazines or web pages, but that can be lived with if you''re earning a nice living without their "help."

Each game you release for sale becomes a new stream of income. So even if one game only nets a small amount, if you have several such games, the income adds up.

An alternative is to pursue "contract games" for publishers. There''s a growing demand for small-ish games, and certain publishers will pay for their development. It''s not Big Money, but it does pay. If you can finish the game while using up less than you''re paid, you can (somewhat slowly) earn enough to keep your own projects going.

You wanna "maximize" your earnings? Start small. Finish games. Polish them so they have a "professional enough" look to them. Slap a price tag on them. And then get on to the next project.

DavidRM
Samu Games
Advertisement
Cool then I am on my way...

My companies website: www.nielsbauergames.com

if you want some kind of get rich quick scheme kinda game, here is my suggestion: take an established genre, like fpps, and within that genre do something completely unusual. do something no one has seen before. dont think it would work? four, five years ago, had any every heard of valve? now they are considered a huge developer and every one is wetting themselves over their next release.

reinterpret the genre and do something original. good games will sell (although considering who wants to be a ripoff...i mean millionaire is the third best selling game right, crappy games sell too).

if you make they will come...

<(o)>
<(o)>
>The games that make money are the games that are completely different than every other game. Its not the ones that follow the trend, its the ones that set the trend.

You''re soooo wrong.

Diablo 2
Quake 3
Final Fantasy 7, 8, 9
High Heat N
Madden 2001

People don''t want original. They want better.

They may say they want original, but they buy better.

$0.02
I'm just gonna jump in with a "Me Too!" post. I couldn't agree more with Anon. People pay a lot of lip service to "unique" but people buy "shinier". They want the newest FPS with better textures and more polygons, not the one that tries to incorporate a story or otherwise new elements into the genre. I have a great deal of respect for developer's who try to do something new, but to say they are more successful than those jumping onboard a proven genre/style is dead wrong.

Edited by - Decoy on September 19, 2000 7:37:39 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement