🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Whe will I find a game like this available?

Started by
23 comments, last by Imperitus 23 years, 9 months ago
Presence General Description: A massive multi player strategy/action simulation with a continuing personal presence, that would allow players to set up and run automated systems that will continue to work for them even while they are offline. It would combine multiple styles of game play into a seamless fluid game environment in which they can choose their path to power. Multiple fields of play: That the player can move between. 1) Action: action space fighter simulation 2) Strategy: real time strategy 3) Political: political and financial power struggles Action Stage Players start with enough credit to buy a single space fighter or transport. Which they can use to fly mission either selected from pre defined jobs, or given to them by other players. Using money earned on missions a player may upgrade his ship or buy other equipment. (Similar to Privateer 2 the darkening) Strategy Stage Once a player collects enough money, or credit he can start to buy autonomous equipment such as artillery robots or mining colonies. He can then use them to build a stronghold and take control of a system. Automated systems continue to function while the player is offline, holding their ground and defending themselves as instructed by simple programming interface. If a players base is destroyed while he is offline he restarts in a neutral zone. Players ships are not able to be attacked while he is offline, only external systems remain present. (Similar to Star craft / Home World) Political Stage Players can form alliances to help defend their holdings while offline. They can hire other players to run missions in exchange for cash or equipment. Players in the employ of other players can receive free ship servicing at the bases owned by the employer, the employer receives a percent of all money earned by the employee. Any autonomous systems deployed by the employee while in service are owned and controlled by the employer but remain controllable by the employee as well unless the employer takes direct control of them. Once a player controls a system with a population they have a vote on the ‘council’ which allows them to take an active part in the law/rule formation of the universe the game inhabits. The greater their holdings/population controlled the more votes they have. (Similar to Civilization call to power)
Advertisement
Hmmm... that is an open ended question. A few years ago, I might have answered with a solid "Never."
Now, I think that these "kinds" of games are on the horizon... Some of the folks over at Jane''s have been talking about virtual wars. I read an article a few years ago where one of the designers said he could envision players from all over the net playing theire favorite sim (jet,tank,battleship...) and linking up with other players on the net to fight virtual war games.

So... when will you see a game like that? Soon. I think, soon.

Dave "Dak Lozar" Loeser

Check Out: GreatShot.com
Dave Dak Lozar Loeser
"Software Engineering is a race between the programmers, trying to make bigger and better fool-proof software, and the universe trying to make bigger fools. So far the Universe in winning."--anonymous
Actually, I think Verant software (the guys from Everquest) are doing something in this style called Sovereign. I am not sure it will go as deep as you are describing though, but maybe, just maybe

youpla:-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I know at least one like that...
it''s called "Real Life".

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
MAdKeith : you mean you got that upgrade to version 1.0 finally ?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I skipped straight to SuSE Life-ux 6.4

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
I''ve been idly thinking about a game somewhat like this in my spare time as well... Having multiple interfaces (FPS for the grunt, Sim-FPS-Style for helos, tanks, jets, etc, RTS for the commanders, etc) would be a neato way to wage a huge virtual war, IMO...

On a smaller scale, having an RTS game where the units are manned by actual people could be very cool.
MadKeith, do you know who makes it? This sounds like a really cool game idea.
(referring to original post)

What''s interesting is that one of us might actually work on that game.

- DarkMage139
++++++++++++++++
"Shut up and give me the freakin code" -unknown
"Ask and you will be shot" -snes16bit
"Not again!" -SHilbert (upon being assimilated)
"Nazrix is cool." - Nazrix
"You've only seen the beginning" -The Dark Lord of RPGs
"I'm gonna go get high on Squaresoft games" - ILoveNataliePortman
- DarkMage139
Well, I''ve get a three four page descrition of it I did one time while bored and trying to figure out what I thought the ultimate game would be. Now I just hope somone with the capabilities makes it.

I was thinking thit would work well on an X-Box like platform if it had a cable modem hookup standard. Maybe we''ll see stuf liek this when consouls start having high sped internet...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement