🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

texture mapping ? a thing of the past ?

Started by
35 comments, last by Cmdr Komarov 23 years, 9 months ago
HI all, well as you all remember back in the day of duke nukem, they game was basically all these bitmaps in a flagarat 2d format which looked worse than the stuff that comes out of my ass when i eat at taco bell. Anywayz, now in the day of "BIg Quake" and all the hype about this 3d game was well warranted. but now at this day and age we are STILL using the same techniques for 3d art development for games. PPL !@!# do YOU NOT SEE TAHT WE ARE STILL DOING TEXTURE MAPPING!@#?!@ and may THIS is the reason why we need such HIGH vram ??? well i want ur thoughts on teh topic of texture mapping. Will we ever see games where the 3d has little to no texture maps and more kewl Computer Animation effects seen in movies ? whats ur take on the issue ?
Advertisement
I think texture mapping is still good. How else are you going to get great looking characters and keep your poly counts low enough that the game doesn''t need a 1Ghz comp with a Radeon 256 64mb ddr vid card. How else would we see things like walls, floors, and explosions and still keeping things somewhat fast. The average computer isnt quite fast enough to render movie like scenes (although its getting there. Look at halo and Team Fortress 2). I guess I am saying that it is almost impossible to have detailed surfaces (gravel, concrete) that look real to run on the average computer.

!!! Cmdr Komarov : are you suggesting we go back to SPRITES ??? for 3D characters ?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
well... does that would mean that everything 3d is simply creative texture mapping. movies, games everything. Basically all that you do when you model is make faces for an image to go on and be viewed. since these can only be viewed properly from one angle, the whole idea is fucked right?
I dont know. here are all these people going insane about trying to make good textured models but maybe its time that the code starts makeing worlds from somthing else other than polygons. simply put, the world is not built like that. maybe if you could program a machine to create atom type variables that display a certain surface. but then again, thats still texture mapping since a monitor is only 2d. really, what else is there?

"Why does my life have to be so hard in every world?"

Nanami Jinii;El-hazard
Incidently......... what is wrong with 2d graphics and where did the hand drawn games go? what is so bad with having all hand drawn sprites? I think that a game like Seiken densetsu 3 is still better than most of the new fancy 3d games does anyone agree?
All hail square for Legend of mana

Nanami Jinii;El-hazard
quote: Original post by Fantasy Edge
Basically all that you do when you model is make faces for an image to go on and be viewed. since these can only be viewed properly from one angle, the whole idea is fucked right?

Actually, with some clever math, that''s entirely untrue. I have a function that texture maps a quad with a perfect texture for any orientation of viewing. It''s not the world''s fastest texture mapper, but it damned well works!

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Interesting. but does any software currently do that?

Nanami Jinii;El-hazard
Nope, that''s why I''m in graphics research

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Are you really from Nunavut???

"Hey Komarov! Poydem lovit'' komarov!"
uh, even blockbuster movies use texture mapping, dude. there''s no running away from it. it''s more of a help and a fantastic feature, rather than a drawback. just think of how the dinosaur skin would look like in jurassic park without texture mapping. think of the leaf vein textures in A Bug''s Life, think of the decals on buzz lightyear''s space suit. are you gonna 3d model a DECAL? come on! think of the environment maps on the T1000''s reflective chrome skin.

without texturemapping, 3d models would look downright UNREALISTIC.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement