🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

texture mapping ? a thing of the past ?

Started by
35 comments, last by Cmdr Komarov 23 years, 9 months ago
The only reson that we see games or anything else the way we do is because of the way that our sensory organs detect events. eyes detect visible light where ears detect audio waves. thats pretty easy. BUt all of these organs talk to the brain over your central nervous system. They do this by sending electrical signals that are read buy the nerves and converted to chamical reaction that eventually control your reaction. No one sensor alone can totally imerse you however. Although it is not totally the sensors as im sure all of you have at one point or another had a dream that was so real that you could swear that it was. IN a sense, what we want to do is create unconcious software that taps into our unconcious thought processes. that would work in theoy but since you are not concious, well that is a fuck up waiting to happen.

Complete sensory imersion is a technology that the military is developing to further densify the melding of man and machine though thought patterns instead of physical actions. By tapping into the data path that runs along your central sensory nerve, you basically have the ability to send images, sound and other things directly to the brain instead of relying on moniters and stuff. Temperarily bypassing any impulse coming from another imput. Basically, your eyes, ears and thouch sensors are bypassed and data is sent directly. This could also be used in an asycronis pattern to detect reaction impulses that are ment for muscle action and reaction.

Basically this is where virtual reality is going.we arent going to be fucking around with goggles and headphones later down the road, we will be actully diving into real artificial worlds. the only problem is with the safty risk. The human mind tends to go into shock when it senses danger. A wrong move in a shooter where you get your leg blown off could result in a pulminary failior and you would die. games will inevitably become far too real but I guess that is the fun of it to a certain extent isnt it. a game is not really all that fun unless their is the possibility of losing is it

"Why does my life have to be so hard in every world?"

Nanami Jinii;El-hazard
Advertisement
Actually, I''m predicting that within 2 years or so, we''ll see the polygon counts for detailed models drastically DROPPING, in favour of some VERY ingenious texture mapping. If you guys are patient, I''ll put up a demo of the technique one of these days.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
...so.. if we are worried aobut computing speed... why no jsut send the data over a neral conneciton to the brain and allow the brain to render it....

Nanami Jinii;El-hazard
yes, i agree with everything you''re saying Fantasy edge, but what i''m trying to get at is. what is the RAW DATA? something in a computer or something in the external world?

what i''m wondering is, what do you mean by this statement,

"so the only way to create true to life 3d is to tap directly into the sensory nerve."

how can it be TRUE TO LIFE if it''s data from a computer? i would think the only TRUE TO LIFE is the actual external world that you currently exist in. if the world were from any other source, it wouldn''t be TRUE TO LIFE, would it?

however, if you intended this statement to mean to make a VIRTUAL world FEEL real, then yes, i understand. this is exactly "the matrix." however, nothing can be more true to life than the actual life youre living now.

a2k

------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
well what im getting at.... assume the computer has a basica set of rules. ie story line, character stuff like that. your mind is actully creating the game not the computer, the computer is just an interface and tell your mind what to create. does this make more sense? basically your mind is creatin an artificial world based on computer data.

Nanami Jinii;El-hazard
Problem with atomic simulation is that the number of real atoms required to store your ATOM struct in memory would be a hell of a lot. The computer would have to be millions of times bigger than the world it simulates.
But I guess you''ve thought of that.
You could of course simulate just, say 1 in 1 trillion atoms or so. It''d probably be enough to get a realistic simulation.

Has anyone thought of how such a game engine would simulate people. The atoms would build up a whole person, organs and all. No need for AI, they really do think. Scary. They''d most likely be conscious. Unless of course the "atom resolution" was low enough so that their neurons couldn''t work properly. Then you could just implement AI which triggers electrical signals to their imaginary muscles to make them move...

Woa I''ve though about this waaaaaaay too much, it''s never going to work! Sorry if I''ve gone off-topic.

Frank
to assume pure atomic programming would be not really possible but atomic surfacing wuld work. it would be a form of texture mapping but it would use textured atoms instead of triangles. who knows.

Nanami Jinii;El-hazard
I don''t know if I got the original poster right, but of what i understood he wants to get rid of texture mapping. Clearly this is not a good idea.
You can''t get a realistic look to neither objects or characters without the use of good textures. They, combined with good lighting and models, create a "whole". Even 1 million+ nurbs scenes needs textures.
actually, tomas, it IS possible to get good-looking objects/scenes with just 3d modelling. that''s why the discussion led into atomic structured code and so forth. so, it''s POSSIBLE, but it''s just by far, not practical for today''s super computers, even.

in fact, it''d look even BETTER than texture mapping just because everything in the scene would be rendered in 3d, no 2d surfaces, which is how this world is made anyway. if you think about it, yes, it''s possible. just not practical.

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Practicality is certainly an issuse but I actully think that atomic surfacing would run faster in some cases. instead of loading massive texture files, you load a library of textured atoms. its still texture mapping of sorts but each atom is textured a certain color and they are only 1 pixel. the instead of applying a texture on triangles, you place these atomic variables across the surface in an organized pattern. the code would make the texture, not the image and the code would be able to munipulate the atoms to make objects deviate from their models. who knows, this could be where true 3d efects begin.

Nanami Jinii;El-hazard

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement