🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Writing and Game Design - Whats the diff?

Started by
44 comments, last by Whirlwind 23 years, 9 months ago
Think Quake fans bashing Unreal fans and not ever playing Unreal for comparison. That is name recognition. Anyways, if you look at a game design doc, you''ll see that it does have story and the more advanced versions of the game design doc even have dialog laid out. Most game design docs rival Hollywood screen plays in sheer page count for those very same reasons. If game making was a religion, the game design document would be its sacred texts, and the production manager would be the shaman - changing the thing to fit budget and time needs. There is more to game design than slapping together a user interface and unit statistics between covers of a binder.

BTW, Starcraft wasn''t on my top 10 of most enjoyable play experiences since it really didn''t add much to the genre. I had become addicted to AOE before I bought and played Starcraft, but by then Starcraft was a year old. I still have Starcraft sitting in its original box with Broodwar setting next to it. Starcraft was just another game where the AI rushed you until someone ran out of resources, but that is just my take. Some people loved it, and that is fine by me.

Advertisement
aaarghh! Stop it.
SC was never about single player. What you do is you get the game out of the box and jump onto battle.net with fifty thousand other people and you just play 1v1, 2v2, of maybe a five way free for all. The game is just a place for you and your opponent to battle mentally. Well I don''t recommend it now, things have gone downhill and unless you''re already pretty good if can be hard to find a good gaming experience. What did it add to the genre? Short answer: not much. Of course there''s more to it than that but this isn''t a SC thread. I think we''ve come to a stalemate in this discussion.
Same stalemate as ever:
Some people need a story in their games to enjoy them. The better the story, the more they enjoy that part.
However, story is rarely a part of the "game" within the whole "interactive title". Monkey Island was fun to play, but I can''t remember the story very well. I just remember throwing creative insults at a swashbuckling pirate. The story was nice fluff, and it did add to the experience , but not to the game .
The game is the part you play, and it is not necessarily the entirety of the software product you have bought.
Incidentally, I think interactive stories actually have a future, though I doubt that they will be classified as games in the end.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
quote: Original post by kickoff2

"I used to work for an MD who used to overrule the lead coder in the employment of coders when he came from a marketing background!!!!!"

No way, this can''t be true. Are you living in a fantasy World?

"Also Gamedev have decided to creating a new forum so what? For **sake I love this site, but it doesn''t shape the workings of what is a global multi million dollar industry."

I disagree, i think it plays a very significant part in aiding software developers

"First of all, while you need the buy-in of all the people working on the game, that is to say everybody has to understand and be behind the vision, you cannot have decision by commitee. Somebody has to have final say on all project matters otherwise you have chaos."

Again i disagree, some design commitees work well with the designer, producer and possibly even lead artist and lead coder being involved in the process.

How long have you been in the games industry? You sound like a rookie..

If you can''t say something intelligent, shut up lamer
replying to Knightlore.

My quote

"I used to work for an MD who used to overrule the lead coder in the employment of coders when he came from a marketing background!!!!!"

Your reply

No way, this can''t be true. Are you living in a fantasy World?

Who are you to question what I say, would you like me to name the company and the individual???????????????

You say, you think that gamedev.net plays a significant part in aiding software developers. You are talking out of. This site, as much as I like it has no influence whatsoever on the EA''s and Infrogrames of this world. If you wish to continue to challenge this, provide some evidence to disprove me.

You say that decision by committee works, sorry but once again your talking rubbish. Decision by committee does not work, furthermore I don''t think you''ll find many profesional development companies (certainly not successful ones) that work in such a way. There is always somebody who has final say, usually the producer on the project concerned.

Again if you wish to continue to challenge what I say provide me with a list of successful professional companies who work in the way you suggest.

Last of all you question my professional integrity, calling me a rookie!!!

I have worked for Sony, Eidos, Infogrames, Sierra and Virgin. I have had games published on PSX, N64, PC and DC.

I am currently working as a producer on PS2 and X-Box development. I have previously worked on Gran Turismo, Actua Golf 2, F1 ''97, UEFA Champions League and Ultimate Soccer Manager.

Now come out of the woodwork who are you!
What have you done, have you ever even worked in the industry!

give me companies and give me products, put up or shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement