🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

PlayScripts or Story of Famous Games

Started by
2 comments, last by adventuredesign 19 years, 10 months ago
Hello All for my project I need some resource of playScrips or story of famous games like Resident Evil , Medal of Honor, Final Fantasy , so on (Every game that have a playScript and can find it!!!) how I can find these things??? Do you know a website for this work??? thank u.
Advertisement
I suspect that the stories themselves were contained in the Story Bible, often part of the Design Document. The scripts themselves, I if understand you correctly, would be the cut scene or dialogue driven/transitional exposition scripts often written as a separate document also included in the design document or perhaps as a subsection of the story bible or as part of the FMV development folder of the game development database, depending on how the individual game company arranges its data.

There are a lot of scripts available online for film and TV (primarily in the wrong format) but I can't find anything so far on game scripts. The chances are these are all proprietary documents, and not easily available, though you could contact them directly and ask.

As far as the objective view about story and scripts in games, I was at the Stanford Lecture series on "Do Games Need Stories" and the overwhelming industry leading speakers sounded a resounding "no." This of course, doesn't convince me, but then again, I am not an industry leader speaking.

I think certain types of games could do better with a little storification, not actually plotting linearly, but enhancing the interactive environment by running the environment through some of the consistency criteria checks screenwriters and authors in other formats do, but that would be just a quality improvement process.

The bottom line here for me is that you have to write your own story and scripts, and that means just having developed storytelling skills and scripting format knowledge.

You can also look here:

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=63

for more information on this and related subjects.

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

Often times there are fan-submitted scripts on FAQ sites, such as www.gamefaqs.com For instance, Ive found for Final Fantasy Tactics a script for all the dialogue in the entire game.

You may be able to find some of the scripts your looking for there or at those type of web sites.
Quote: Original post by Nahoopii
Often times there are fan-submitted scripts on FAQ sites, such as www.gamefaqs.com For instance, Ive found for Final Fantasy Tactics a script for all the dialogue in the entire game.

You may be able to find some of the scripts your looking for there or at those type of web sites.

Cool Nahoopi. Do you think that you could make available that script. I am interested in seeing how they formatted it and developed the dialogue. If you have it in a doc, I would appreciate an e-mail on it, or, if you want to cut and paste some or all of it, I would be greatful.

Adventuredesign

Always without desire we must be found, If its deep mystery we would sound; But if desire always within us be, Its outer fringe is all that we shall see. - The Tao

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement