🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MMORPG Races

Started by
14 comments, last by EricTrickster 19 years, 11 months ago
I guess I assumed the races would be adversarial to each other because of the emphasis on weaponry and magic as the definition of each race.

Whether you decide to go MMO, RPG or RTS with this I'd sit back and work out the specifics of each race in terms of society, personality, political structure and their views of the other races (and their own place in the world). Do the races intermingle in the cities, or are the world's cities/nations divided racially?

Taking the larger view: is this a world at war with each other? Do certain races take a more clandestine/espionage approach, while others have a view towards conquering others/colonization?

If there is magic, is there science? Is there technology?

[font "arial"] Everything you can imagine...is real.
Advertisement
if you want to do an idea for an original mmo, then how about not following the fantasy theme of 99.99999 mmorpg's out there and actually come up with something original as far as game idea/play/mechanics go instead of the races.

I mean all you are doing is putting a different face on the exact same extremely overused concept in most all mmorpgs. All you are doing really is masking your unoriginality with an original costume idea and perhaps a neat storyline..
Quote: Original post by netflow
if you want to do an idea for an original mmo, then how about not following the fantasy theme of 99.99999 mmorpg's out there and actually come up with something original as far as game idea/play/mechanics go instead of the races.

For one, just because a MMORPG has difference races bearing different attributes, that doesn't mean it's unoriginal. Different uses are used all the way back in mythology. For instance, Yoshimitsu (a Japanese hero) was the son of a human woman and a tengu male.

Quote:
I mean all you are doing is putting a different face on the exact same extremely overused concept in most all mmorpgs. All you are doing really is masking your unoriginality with an original costume idea and perhaps a neat storyline..

"Variety is the spice of life." Common quote, I'm sure you've heard it. I'm not masking my unoriginality with an original costume idea, I'm adding spice to what would be an otherwise bland world with, perhaps, a neat storyline.

[Edited by - orionx103 on August 5, 2004 12:54:37 PM]
Quote: I mean all you are doing is putting a different face on the exact same extremely overused concept in most all mmorpgs. All you are doing really is masking your unoriginality with an original costume idea and perhaps a neat storyline..

That's a pretty unfair statement, considering orionx hasn't stated anything about what his game mechanics involve. By your comment, everything is unoriginal since every basic concept of races and classes in a game setting copies every other one.

Both SWG and DAOC use races and classes/occupations, both have PvP combat, both have non-combat professions, and yet both are completely different in overall gameplay. Let's not make snap judgements based on a lack of information.
Some scholars believe that there are as few as 3 basic literary plots, and that hasn't hampered authors over the last few hundred years.
A little more, while I'm still at work ;)

I could see the Ants (have you considered using variants on the latin family names for them, i.e. formicidae for ants?) as more of a technologically superior race with advanced cities, towers spires and deep underground labyrinths. Maybe a government structure like the Roman Senate or, perhaps, more like Britain's Parliament and their monarchy. They'd be physically weak, relying more on technology than brute force. I (my opinion only) see them more logical than intuitive, preferring structure and order over the "chaos" of magic.

Conversely the Bees (family apidae)would have more of a rural, laid back political and social structure. They'd be more like a farming community, or a "quiet" kingdom with surrounding fields for their gatherers. Their beliefs may be more naturalistic than the ants, more of a blending with their environment than controlling it.

Spiders and Scorpions may be more tribal/nomadic in nature, and more warlike. Perhaps like the mountain tribes of medieval Europe. Primitive almost, with strong warrior castes and a heavy belief (not necessarily use) in magic. Perhaps certain shaman classes are strong in its use, but the warrior classes disdain it. Maybe the differences between the two could be close to feudal Japan (spiders) vs. germanic tribes (scorpions).

Just some quick ideas for you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement