🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Realtime Sound Mixing

Started by
0 comments, last by Zir0 23 years, 9 months ago
Hello! I am writing my own realtime sound mixer in Windows. I was able to build a little windows application that can load up multiple WAV sounds and play them simultaneously, letting DirectSound do all the realtime mixing for me. (I was even able to take it a step further so the application can play simple MOD files.) I now realize that I need to do some custom mixing that DirectSound does not provide. I have found other sound libraries out there, like Qsound or FMOD, that perform realtime mixing of digital samples. However, for my own educational purposes, I want to learn how to do my own mixing, and send it to the Windows audio device, however it may be done. Does anyone know how to do this, or does anyone know of a resource web site? Any help would be appreciated!

- Ziro out.

Advertisement
In mixing digital sounds, it is as simple as adding the samples of each sound together. For further insight into programming sound, look into "Digital Audio Processing by Doug Coulter." Although the author doesn''t dig too deeply into the code side of DSP, the book covers many aspects; from Psycho Acoustics (why sounds sound as they do) to effects programming to audio compression to noise reduction.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement