🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Motion Capture In Sports Games

Started by
0 comments, last by kickoff2 23 years, 9 months ago
What technology is going become most prevelent in capturing moves for sports games and why? It seems to me that we need future systems to be more portable, more durable, watchable in real-time, that can operate in a large capture environment that are affordable. At present the optical systems are used most widely in the industry. However they suffer from marker occlusion, a lack of portability due to the number of cameras required and can not be viewed in real time. Also markers have a position but not an orientation within the spacial field which is a problem. Magnetic and radio systems have previously had problems in capturing certain moves due to low frame-rate, however they do give marker orientation and can be more easily calibrated, will advances in their technology lead to them being adopted by the industry as the way forward. What about the use of some kind of exoskelaton suit,I believe they allow for an unlimited capture space. That said, they currently look as though they would inhibit athletic movements and look pretty fragile. It would have thought that the exoskelaton suits once minaturised and made to withstand impacts is the way forward...but what do you think?
Advertisement
haha kickoff! i think that a post like that is a little to advanced for a forum like this! most people here squabble about what 3d program to buy, how to make sprites, and how to skin characters!

personally i would much rather start getting into more complex questions like this ( i personally dont know anything about mocap - had the opportunity to do it but turned it down). besides, this is pretty much an independant games website, and most people dont have access to a mocap studio, or a need of one. i would try another forum.

-Luxury

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement