🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Story Idea: The Curse of Life

Started by
1 comment, last by Wavewash 19 years, 11 months ago
Here is another one of my story ideas Please let me know what you think. Any replies at all would be appreciated. A short version(Summary) will follow It is the year 2050. In mankind’s pursuit of science have final began to tap into the space time continuum. The professor leading the project had warned his students about using the machine, and told them never to touch it without his supervision. One of his young students however was overcome by curiosity. He turned on the machine and tied to look into the (Future/Past). He however did not know how to run the machine, something went wrong. The Machine exploded and the student was knocked unconscious. When he came to he was there in the (Future/Past) he was still however injured from the blast. He sought help from the locals however in the time period he traveled to due not speak the same language as him. They however notice his injuries and put him up and treat his injures. After he starts his recovery he begins to communicate through simple hand motions . After time however he begins to understand their language and as his strength returns he starts to participate in every day life’s task and to help out the community. For quit a while he helps the people and begins to learn his task and other skills required of that era. After quit some time has passed he begins to notice something odd. The people here age very quickly. His friends grow out of their prime, then they have children and their children grow. He however ha not changed. He compares their growth to that of the seasons and sees that it is normal, but this would mean he is aging slow very slow, or perhaps not at all. Much later he realize that he has indeed stopped ageing. He thinks that this is great and begins to pursue basic skills in all areas as he has forever so he might become a master of all trades. After gaining some skills he decides to learn some fighting skills so that he might defend him self . He spends quit some time in the military and learns to fight. After that he began searching for a way home. His search however was constantly interrupted as he was needed to help defend the land. Every time it was he has a great help to the effort and his legend grew. His search had lasted through many ages and nothing had come of it. He had grow tired and making friends only to watch them die: in battle, by illness, or by age. His will began to slip from this and from tiring of life itself. So he lay himself down by a tree and waited the death might long last have it hold over him. Death however passed him by as he awoke again being nursed back to health by the people of the town. He then began to seek death in battle by taking up in dangerous occupations. His great skill however kept him alive every time. He however had earned great fame witch did not go unnoticed. It was in this time that a great evil was unleashed upon the earth. Great monster the like of witch the world had never seen began to terrorize the world. Our hero realized that he could not just sit there and die nor could he allow a foe to take his life nut that his foe must earn it, and so he left, left to fight these new monsters and whatever it was that brought he there. Not that he might save the world, but that a foe witch was truly greater than him might take his life, that he might rest. But perhaps on this journey he will realize that he has been given a gift and that he might use that gift by being the hero whenever the world needs it as he will always be around and remember the last time. The short version: A Person is stop form aging Over his life he becomes very skilled His heart is broken by watching generations die off He seeks death, but realizes he can’t take his own or let it be taken He fights that another might take his life but his skill is to great He hears about new monster of unbelievable power He goes to fight them that they might sly him in Battle Notes: Wow this is the longest post I have ever made. I really like this story. The more I work on it the more I like it. I personally would like to set it in the past and if I write it that is how it will be, except the start witch is in the future. I know it probably would have sounded better with names but I have never been able to make names I like in my stories.
Advertisement
That's an amazing story. Very Chrono-Trigger-esque.
“[The clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be exerted in opposition to their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man” - Thomas Jefferson
It's a pretty cool story, Reminds a bit of Timeline and Bi-Centennial Man. I was wondering how your story would work if the man is swept forward in time. Is the technology for time travel well known now? Wouldn't they realize that the person who stopped aging has messed with time?

Also in the past wouldn't people start to worship this person as a god because he doesn't age or die? Is this a part of your story? I think it could fit in very easily if you want it too. The idea is really cool. Has a lot of possibilities for game mechanics.

~Wave

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement