🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

the perfect story

Started by
34 comments, last by sunandshadow 22 years, 7 months ago
Well structurally they''re pretty similar - dual layer comedy (one layer being for the groundlings and one for the aristocrats). Many of my English professors have said they like Southpark. I dunno, they both make me laugh.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
quote: Original post by Oluseyi
Even better: badguy kills goodguy, who desires revenge but is too much of a wimp and thus kills himself.

Who said number 2 was better?

Yup, I''d take door number 13 rather than 1 or 2. Killing himself because he''s too much of a wimp is kindda redudant though. You would have to write him as a very foolish character on top of a wimp to explain this.

quote: ...if your story is about Hate, a love story probably wouldn''t fit in there.

Love and hate is the same thing, just different sides of the same coin like good and evil. I might be quoting this unconsiously from someone.

quote: Imagine reading a book in French, or some other language you don''t understand - it''s not very fun. Not because the story''s bad, just because it''s illegible.

There''s quite a few factors that contribute into this. You have to take into account of losing some of the meaning in the words due to the mismatched words between translation. And then there''s evolving definitions of specific words that changes everyday. Then the tons of that would fit the sentence...

quote: I know this isn''t the Perfect Story you have described, but to write a story that appeals to about 97.34% of the population, just follow the "guidelines"...

Guess I belong to the 2.66%. The perfect story for me is where everyone dies, goes insane, amputated and feeding on the bed with a straw or other severly twisted stuffs. Has anyone watched Momento ?
-------------Blade Mistress Online
quote: Mooglez
There''s quite a few factors that contribute into this. You have to take into account of losing some of the meaning in the words due to the mismatched words between translation. And then there''s evolving definitions of specific words that changes everyday. Then the tons of that would fit the sentence...

True, but I was thinking more about not even a translation, just looking at a bunch of gibberish. What would be even worse, is if your best friend could speak French, and was happily engaged, laughing at jokes you didn''t even know existed.
Actually, the whole love/hate coin thing was explored in Wild Arms 2 (PSX), near the end of Disc 1. However, the characters who acted as an audience to it displayed confusion when it ended, and I myself found it as a weird tangent to the very weird plot. Luckily, the game ended nicely, if not floating off on very abstract topics.

And I said I wouldn''t say anything about reviving dead topics. kill(BADJOKE); Actually, it doesn''t seem all that dead now.

:: Inmate2993
:: William C. Bubel
"Please refrain from bothering Booster."
william bubel
I agree totally with Inmate here. Characters is what makes your entire story. Without characters, you''ve got nothing but perhaps dialog. The more detail you put into your character, the more the reader understands the character, and the better your story will be. Emotions will help your readers connect with the characters in many ways.

And another thing: Who said the conflict of the characters had to come from an outside source? I''d like to see more stories about conflicts with what''s inside the characters themselves, more than anything else. I''m not talking about viruses or parasites, but personal feelings.

I was once wanting to write a story entitled Heroes are Made. But I didn''t start it too well, and I got rid of it.

Another thing to remember. Someone once said "You should write what you know". The same is true here.

I think you all should see a movie called Blue Submarine #6. It''s a Japanese animation (I think), but it''s good, and not long. The ending is the best part.

Control the storm...
Control ... the storm...Danny (Array Master)
Personally, I disagree with the love story and the happy ending bit. I mean, one of my favorite games was Fallout 2. Was that, umm, at all happy? Not really. Having your guy''s spine blown out your back isn''t exactly happy or amorous. I do agree on the humor. Brahmin tipping anyone? Or a talk with Grampy Bone?

(Sorry, Fallout-series jokes )
Sqeek.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement