🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Close Your Own Topic (As seen on TV)

Started by
13 comments, last by nes8bit 23 years, 9 months ago
I think we need a close your own topic button or something. There are times when I want to close my own thread, but not delete it. Eventually it ends up to the point when I just delete it. Anyhoo, is this possible? --------------------------- "Don't die for your country, make some other dumb bastard die for his" -General George S. Patton
Advertisement
Ahh so you want to be able to spam a thread full of nonsensical messages, then delete it, and still get credited for the posting?

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Actually you can do that anyway

i agree with nes, we need to be able to close the threads when they get out of hand

as long as being able to close them doesn''t let the forum get out of hand even more..
I really hope that the staff agrees with me on this, but

NO

That's what moderators are for. Posters can't decide to close a topic just because it's going in a direction they don't like, that's a moderator's job.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~

Edited by - MadKeithV on September 26, 2000 5:34:29 AM
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
so why are we allowed to delete topics?

i agree thats what moderators are for..
moderating.
but sometimes theres just too much to moderate.
Moderator power trip there... Megalomaniac.
I reckon we give nes8bit the power to delete only one thread...THIS ONE!!!

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Power trip? You wuss, you don''t even have the balls to log in. And I''m not powertripping, just asserting why certain members of the community have agreed to put valuable personal time into keeping these boards clean and tidy and a non-hostile place!

Now, the reason you CAN delete topics that you yourself have started seems to be that you can delete your own messages, and if it happens to be a thread-spawning message, the whole thread disappears as well. I doubt they can stop this from happening, so you might as well add the "close topic" button to a topic you yourself have started ~ as it will allow the thread itself to persist without any additional people posting to it.

Just as long as you don''t get moderator power over the other people posting in your thread

~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
I''m open to allowing this. I''m sure it can be easily done using the existing software. Since we already allow people to delete their own posts, and since closing a thread seems less severe, I don''t see any good reason not to allow it.
The reason I didn''t log on is that I''m not sure I can criticize moderators without them attempting to punish me , in however a backwards and hidden way .

I just find it kind of sad that you would give such a definate answer to a question that someone may have a reason for putting forth, maybe even an honest and good reason...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement