🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Development

Started by
17 comments, last by Tyberious 23 years, 9 months ago
I read somewhere that Id Software only has a staff of 6.
"I am a pitbull on the pantleg of opportunity."George W. Bush
Advertisement
> Lot''s of Artist''s ? I don''t think so just quality and very good artist''s.

Well, diablo I''s credit list has 46 artists. Hmm..., maybe it is not that much.

> I read somewhere that Id Software only has a staff of 6

When they have done catacomb3d maybe, but count them on q3a''s credit list. You will be surprised.

bernie
www.bkgames.com
The credits int Diablo II, Starcraft, etc. do contain 100+ people, but most of them were only on the sidelines. The actual team that developed the game was proabably only about 16 people.
The credits int Diablo II, Starcraft, etc. do contain 100+ people, but most of them were only on the sidelines. The actual team that developed the game was proabably only about 16 people. Also, someone could make a game like diablo withough spending millions and without a hundred people. Diablo is not a very hard game to program, just think about it. What took them so long was 1. all the extras, like 3D accelerations, multiplayer, FMV, and 2.blizzard holds back their games for a long time to test them. As for the millions budget, they only spend millions because they can, and they are wastefull. If they didn''t have millions to blow away, they could still get by fine.
> The credits in Diablo II, Starcraft, etc. do contain 100+ people, but most of them were only on the sidelines. The actual team that developed the game was proabably only about 16 people

Man, where do you know this from? Are you workin at Blizzard?

> Diablo is not a very hard game to program

What have you programmed that makes you think that?

> blizzard holds back their games for a long time to test them

That is why, one can play warcraft, diablo1 and starcraft out of the box without waiting for a patch, right after the game''s release. Anyway, badly programmed games make me sick.

> If they didn''t have millions to blow away, they could still get by fine

I think you know shit about managing a such a huge company. If you finish your school an get a job, you will see how f*cking hard to manage only a small company with a few employees.
Okay one, we''re we talkign about Diablo or Diablo 2 ?

Originally I thought it was Diablo and there development team wasn''t big at all.
They we''re a third party developer''s who are now called Blizzard North. I must admit i''ve never played Star Craft. Diablo 2 how ever has lots of developer''s but that wasn''t what we we''re talkign about right ?

Diablo, biggest feature''s.. Random map''s that work ?
AI maybe ?
Spell''s, Graphic''s... Story line... I''m not sure.

Diablo 2 was just an enhanced version which took crap load''s of people to do. 3D engine, Multiplayer and Networking (block cheating)

But the final point is, you do not need 1 million dollar''s to make a game, although it would be nice to buy a couple of super computer''s and hire the best programmer''s in the world for a year or 2...
Hey, a thread on games costs that i haven''t ranted in yet.
It sure dosent take a million dollars, you can do good games with just 1 or 2 people taking a year or so, thats what rollercoaster tycoon took.
Dosen''t make it easy though. There is a lot to a finished game, I would not dismiss ANY game as ''easy to program''.
What amuses me is the swarm on anon posters that wade in an experts on these things. Unless you have real experience of a full game development cycle over a year or so, I''m not sure how qualified anyone is to start throwing figures about. Best best is to go look at the post mortems in Gamasutra, or PC Zone magazine in the UK lists each games team size.
In any event, if you want to know this so you can get a publisher to give you the millions neccesary, you may be wasting your time. If you don''t have enough industry experience to already know the likley team size/costs then no publisheris going to invest a bean in you.
Good luck though!

http://www.positech.co.uk
>I must admit i''ve never played Star Craft.
tsk tsk
>I must admit i''ve never played Star Craft.
tsk tsk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement