🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

How to stop a Atomic Horror?

Started by
21 comments, last by dede 19 years, 10 months ago
One of the projects I worked earlier had as a plot device a Atomic Horror: a big, bad, 60's-fashioned, thousand-feet-tall radioactive monster -- think Godzilla. Like any good atomic horror, he was going to tear the city down, unless the players stopped him. But now the question came back to me: how do you stop a Atomic Monster? I researched about the matter, I really did. But the answers weren't very varied or satisfying, as it all boiled down to: A) Killing the Kaiju, using hi-tech or lots of, but still massive, warfare and firepower. B) Send a superpowered beign, like a (pack of) superhero(es) or another atomic horror, as a "humanity's last hope". C) Wait untill it gets tired and goes back to the sea, Monster Island, or wherever it came. The question here is, is there another way? And if we want him alive, can't he be trapped -- there is such a thing that can trap a Horror? The last time I saw this was in Godzilla '98, and that was because Mommy Zilla got stuck in the bridge, and was mercylessly killed anyway. A forced lucky shot I'd say.(remember that Mommy Zilla was strong enough to burrow trough buildings and under the whole NY? How the brige trapped her?) I'd like to hear from you all.
Advertisement
I would shoot him with DU (depleted uranium the A-10 shoots them) bullets at a low velocity (so they just didn't pass through). They would absorb his radiation due the the high atomic number.

It might be a bit of a poor answer though, just my opinion.
Quote: Michael TanczosCut that shit out. You shouldn't be spying on other people.. especially your parents. If your dad wanted to look at horses having sex with transexual eskimo midgets, that's his business and not yours.
ATOMIC WEAPONS!!!
"1 is equal to 2 for significantly large quantities of 1" - Anonymous
I'm glad you actually looked into the topic. I don't remember Godzilla or any of the other giant monsters being referred to as "Kaiju" in the movies. That's a term used in the originals, though, to refer to giant monsters.

The thing about those movies was that I don't remember there ever being just one kaiju. If I recall correctly, there were always two, which would end up duking it out in the end. I don't think there was ever a time when man alone had to take on a kaiju. Then again, I haven't seen every Godzilla film, or kaiju film for that matter.

Uhh... I do remember seeing a giant monster being killed when water was poured on it after it got tangled into power lines. This was in a Powerpuff Girls episode. >_>;;
Well... If it's radioactive: lead, surely? :p
-------------Hunted by allAided by noneUSS CarpathiaNCC-17499www.carpathia.tk - Starfleet renegades
Since he's radioactive, we can assume that his lifeforce and energy come from the fission reaction in his tissue. He could be like a giant reactor with legs. The trick in destroying him could be to upset the equilibrium of the reaction, as we all know, if a fission reactor operates too intensely, there will be a meltdown. So the trick would be to lure him away from any inhabited places, then get him to meltdown by launching a small explosive missile at some gland or whatever that controls the reaction rate.

C.
If you're going to want to trap him, well, I guess you might have to think a bit more about why he's radioactive. I am imagining that he crawls into one of those big, white towers of three mile island, and then the technology that controls the reaction at the plant also subdues him.

But if you're looking for a low tech solution, I say that you focus on some (fictional) tribe of uranium worshiping mystics somewhere in central asia. They've been prophesizing the coming of the Great One and all, who happens to be your monster. They've been worshiping his arrival for centuries and now that he is here, they somehow manage to find out about it, and then through their rituals, they communicate with it and work out a peaceful solution.

C.
Just because he's radioactive or whatever doesnt mean he can neccesarily violate ALL the biological rules. Your kaiju might still be vulnerable to poisons or tranquilisers, etc - however, you would of course need a LOT of them, and some way of effectively delivering them. Gas? Some sort of injection? Multiple injections somehow? Special ammo which delivers it? Put it in food and put the food in a big pile??

Perhaps it can be lured - think the big pile a food again, or something else it wishes to aquire. Perhaps there is some weakness that can be taken advantage of if you can lure it into the correct place/positioning. You may even be able to fashion some form of cage and/or trap if you're willing to build something on a huge enough scale.

Reverse whatever made it big? Doesnt seem to be a common solution in the classics, probably to be avoided, but potentially could work.

Somehow encourage suicide? Your other options are the old ones already mentioned - massive firepower, or a second kaiju.

One last afterthough - some sort of mecha built by the humans - I was thinking of the Evangelion Unit fighting an angel when this occured to me just then.

- Jason Astle-Adams

the melt down was done in a Godzilla movie
How to solve your Kaiju problem

1. Lure it to an open area
2. Shoot it with a strink ray, and bring to more manageble size
3. Place in specialy designed cage.

Have a good day.

Just me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement