🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why am I here, again, exactly?

Started by
13 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 9 months ago
What are some good reasons to be on a level / in a dungeon / in a town / whatever? I''m brainstorming mission design, namely why you get a mission and what you have to do, or why you''d go somewhere voluntarily. I can think of a few reasons: To get a reward or find treasure (either to steal it, or as a deal / part of a Fedex quest) To get some skill / experience (usually in combat, right? ) To take something (get a reward, kidnap a person) Because you were told to (no choice / linear narrative / no where else to go **BLECH!!!** ) Anybody want to help me add to this list? -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
because you want to
A couple more ideas:
-you got captured and dumped there
-got lost/took a wrong turn
-thought it sounded interesting so you figured you''d take a look
-seeking refuge/people to join you
-to meet someone

Scott
Lizard Al Productions
Wow. An anon poster who was right on the money!

Wav, easily the best reason to anything in any game is the one that arises organically from the setting or narrative. No this doesn''t mean you are TOLD to do something, but frankly killing stuff for virtual money that I use to get better at killing stuff just doesn''t cut it.

You collect information naturally (you should never HAVE to look for it if you''re meant to find it; suspension of disbelief). You can put together conflicting info and draw your OWN conclusions. You should be able to be somewhere because you WANT to, never because you have to to advance the story.

======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
quote: Original post by Landfish

You should be able to be somewhere because you WANT to, never because you have to to advance the story.

LF, send me a photo. I''m gonna frame it and hang it right next to my gaming Gods Sid Meier, Steve Barcia, and Peter Molyneaux!

This is the heart of open ended, freeform gaming! With how I __interpreted__ your views on narrative and gameplay, I didn''t think you believed this. (Incidently, re: the Nothing Wrong With a Good Story thread, maybe I''ve never played a game that made me feel like I __wanted__ to be were the linear narrative took me...)

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
The Anon Poster did hit it right on...so to the point too

I didn't expect LF to say that either. I thought he might believe it, but I didn't expect him to say it aloud or write it aloud or whatever.

That is the heart of non-linearity, and such an untapped possibility.

"'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree

Edited by - Nazrix on September 27, 2000 8:49:22 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Unfortunately what normally starts out as ''because you want to'' usually ends up with ''because the game will be dull as f*** if you don''t''

Any freeform game still has to have a strong story line - but that story line has to be adaptable. Or at least appear to be adaptable.
quote: Original post by Sandman

Unfortunately what normally starts out as ''because you want to'' usually ends up with ''because the game will be dull as f*** if you don''t''

Any freeform game still has to have a strong story line - but that story line has to be adaptable. Or at least appear to be adaptable.

I don''t want to derail this into a linear vs. non-linear thread (that''s what the writting forum is for ), but are you saying that if you aren''t told you have to go to a level then it''s boring to do so? Just curious, as this seems to be a problem of taste (as in "directed, managed play" vs. "free, exploration play")

--------------------
- tracking a wanted man/monster/gang etc
- retrieving something holy grail/keg of happiness/toe nail clippings? etc
- you want to see something spectacular alien ship/gods left testical/some guy shining his sword.
- assasination of the president?
- your accompaning someone stupid? (blind leading the blind)
- "hey, this must be where he kept all the dead bodies".

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
quote: Original post by Wavinator

What are some good reasons to be on a level / in a dungeon / in a town / whatever? I'm brainstorming mission design, namely why you get a mission and what you have to do, or why you'd go somewhere voluntarily.

I can think of a few reasons:

To get a reward or find treasure (either to steal it, or as a deal / part of a Fedex quest)

To get some skill / experience (usually in combat, right? )

To take something (get a reward, kidnap a person)

Because you were told to (no choice / linear narrative / no where else to go **BLECH!!!** )
--------------------

I've been GM'ing D&D-type games for years, and all my experience in that field tells me there are no greater motivators than:

a) the eternal fight between good and evil
b) have some NPC/group/organisation/whatever seriously piss your players off.

hunting for money or experience generally results in monty haul. never give your player(s) powerful items (or heaps of skills) when they expect it.

Anybody want to help me add to this list?

Edited by - MadKeithV on September 28, 2000 5:29:13 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement