🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Why am I here, again, exactly?

Started by
13 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 9 months ago
It sucked in Baldur''s Gate, when I wanted to explore other areas instead of following the Linear plot. (It had a semi-free form exploration map). But all the creatures in the places I explored which weren''t directly on my primary route just killed me with an arrow from off screen!

I wanted to explore the countryside and run away from monsters (and get XP for doing so) instead of kill Kobolds in mines.
Advertisement
maybe an NPC stole some of your stuff or did something to really make you mad. He then fled to the nearest hole in the ground (dungeon). Want your stuff back/revenge ? Go after him then.

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time"
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail
themGames Productions

When i was DM''ing i tried to promote the feel of adventure and exploration. I was always encouraging the player to think that the most weird and wonderful things were awaiting them somewhere ahead. I aways left subtle clues of what they should expect in order to prompt their imagination into as higher gear as possible. It worked both ways because they would yarp on about things that would give me some cool idea''s. It kind of got the fire going if you know what i mean?

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Wav: Not at all. I am just saying that even a free form game needs to have some kind of plot to it, albeit one that is adaptable to the players actions. Just drifting into a dungeon because you have nothing better to do does not make a compelling reason to be in the game.
Sandman, I think that Baldur''s Gate would have been much more fun if you had been able to explore freeform style, thus not bothering with the main QUEST until you wanted to.

What was cool was exploring beautiful and interesting scenery fighting some monsters, being spooked by the flocks of startled birds in the forests and running away screaming from the monsters Blair Witch style. Unfortunately this wasn''t a main part of the game.

Ie. It would be **AWESOME** if depending on where you had been, and what you had done was logged by the computer and you could brag to the NPCs about it, and just DOING it would make the RESPECT you more. Ie. Experience = respect & bragging rights!! That would have been SO cool.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement