🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

They said it couldn't be done...

Started by
11 comments, last by Landfish 20 years, 7 months ago
Geoff Howland''s original arguement against a writing forum was that it wouldn''t generate enough traffic. Here we are- just about a month old, and we''ve already gotten more posts than the music forum, amongst others. Thank you guys for proving him wrong, and for supporting me in the notion that writing in games is seriously important, and will only become moreso.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Sure!

(Okay, now I maybe see where some of the vitriol was coming from, LF... as a relative newbie to the site, I couldn''t understand why you were shaking your fist... )

Oh, and to generate more traffic: Uh, writing, uh, sucks, yeah. (j/k!!!!!!! *** wavinator is SKINNED ALIVE!!!!!*** )

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
This is off topic, but related to the forum going forward:

* begin intonation, incense burning*

Oh, Great Moderator Landfish, ruler of both land and sea (or the Writing Forum, at least)...

... could you refrain from editing the posts of others unless it''s completely necessary? Yes, I know I''m being whiney, but it''s kinda disconcerting to know as a practice that posts will be casually altered.

Remeber, the people love a just king... (Do you want to be feared, or loved????)

--------------------
(Montgomery Burns voice) *EXCELLENT* Smithers !

Wavinator : you know what we do with kings in France ?
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Ummmm... Wav? I''ve never altered anyone else''s posts. I''ve moved them to other forums, but that''s it.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Not that its any of my business, but Wavy''s talking about the Klingonishness/Orcishness thread, I think on the second page (not sure). His message does say "edited by- Landfish" at the bottom. . .

Have you been. . .

FRAMED??? 8P

If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
If you see the Buddha on the road, Kill Him. -apocryphal
Ah, I bet your thought you were doing a "reply to" LF. I do that all the time, but when I try to post it says "This message can only be __EDITED__ by the original poster." Then I realize "oops, wrong button."

However, since YOU are a Moderator, you won''t get this message. Hahahaha!

--------------------
Writing is about story isn''t it ?

If so I think this is very important cause story immerse the player and gameplay make it addicted to the game.
Gfx of course are also required to immerse the player, but how many of us have played games because of the story compared to those having played a game because of the gfx ?

Only 2 weeks ago I was playing Chrono Trigger... SNES version...
And I''ve a Athlon 700 with blazing 3d card and everything to get the most out of a 3D engine...

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
Mmm. The writing forum is a great idea, and there is a definite need for these sort of topics. Even just to raise the awareness of the issues & to promote better layman writing.

That said how many of the people here actually write everyday as real authors do...
For me the Writing Section gives me an extra place to check out for learning material. It''s always fun watching people open up a new can of worms *evil grin*

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement