🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Alternative to Click & Kill - - rpg

Started by
17 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 9 months ago
Yeah, I appreciate the advice. I have thought about that potential problem too, and I''m not too sure how to deal with it. The characters being smaller, it may not be as intuitive as it needs to be. I''ll have to think about it some more.

"'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
Nazrix,

Just a thought, but if you were doing 3D chars you could zoom. For instance, you could make a cool Diablo meets Soul Blade type game that auto-zooms for you. When you''re dealing with archers or ranged enemies, you''d be in long range mode, but when you got up close and personal the view would stay the same but get in closer.

You could still have enemies from all sides, only the eight closest around you would be shown (and give you a chance to master your 360'' knockback attacks )

Just a thought...

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Wav,
Cool idea.

I'm not doing 3-D characters unfortunately. It's still an interesting idea though.

Edited by - Nazrix on October 2, 2000 9:35:42 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Okay, I'd like to take a turn on my discussion here. From a design perspective, assuming that I am able to effectively do something like this, how do you all feel about something like this in an RPG.

Combat in CRPGs is traditionally governed a lot by stats, but do you think it would become too arcade-like if you were able to control whether you hit or miss more by controls rather than by your stats?

I guess it comes down to this: In an RPG-type game would you perfer your attributes and stats determing whether you hit/miss, or would you rather determine it yourself? I'd still like attributes & stats to have some effect, but just not completely govern it like most RPGs are today.

I guess this is going back to the days where we were trying to figure out what makes an RPG an RPG. I keep feeling this overwhelming external force saying I can't mix tactical combat action with an RPG instead of letting stats handle it. I am such a blasphemer by letting these dogmas control me. Landfish, forgive me!

Edited by - Nazrix on October 3, 2000 10:56:21 PM
There is a technical side to this that I am not sure is being addressed. The animation for the swing of a weapon is pretty fixed. If it is not then the polygons stand a chance of showing gaps and such through the animation. If the animation is fixed then the only way that you can speed up the swing or slow it down is if you start to drop frames or specifically add pauses in your frame setup. I would believe that there are graphical limitations to this system that make it close to unworkable, though I could be wrong. As an interesting point, my team is looking into how to solve this issue and when we come up with a solution we will post it here to this thread for all cause the idea has merit and would be nice to see in a game.

Kressilac

ps The other technical consideration concerns endpoints and begin points for animations that string together in sequences. This could look choppy and unrealistic if not done correctly, taking lag, user delay, and other non-perfect sequencing stuff into effect.
Derek Licciardi (Kressilac)Elysian Productions Inc.
Actually, I am not using polygons. I''m using 2-D sprites.

quote: By you know who
Combat in CRPGs is traditionally governed a lot by stats, but do you think it would become too arcade-like if you were able to control whether you hit or miss more by controls rather than by your stats?

I''ve got to admitt that this has been crossing my mind a lot recently as well. When someone mentioned to me in another recent post about "button bashing" it made me think that i was going in the wrong direction. But i also realised that i was comparing what they said to the system that was in my mind. But putting all that aside, i think it all comes down to how it''s handled. We all know that if an idea is executed properly then it works!

*thinking*scratching* I''ll have to leave it here or i''ll drop carrier if i leave it any longer. I''ll return with more thought''s later on. As i''m working on a similar thing atm.

"So you're the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"
Yeah, I realize that my question is kind of difficult because I am asking if this feature will work with the rest of my game, and you all don't really know everything about the rest of the game yet. I think that you have a good idea about the basic structure of the game though, as I've talked about it here and there. So, I just thought I'd throw out the question, and see what comes of it.

The other thing that I am realizing is that part of this is that I started thinking about how automated and mechanic combat can be in a lot of games. I started thinking that if I were to make it more tactical like this that it would seem more interesting. I am seeing that the old Landfish motto about pointless combat is pointless is quite true.

I'm still curious about what everyone thinks about this in an RPG though.

Edited by - Nazrix on October 4, 2000 1:14:50 PM
quote: The other thing that I am realizing is that part of this is that I started thinking about how automated and mechanic combat can be in a lot of games.

I was thinking about this too a few weeks back. But i realised that i had to first work out how the AI scripting works before i go on with it which is why i''m concentrating more on character constuction atm because this isn''t complete yet.

It think the idea''s would work, but how well it does depends on how well you do the scripting too.

"So you're the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement