🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Comparison: Music

Started by
6 comments, last by Ketchaval 23 years, 9 months ago
So often people compare computer games with movies, although many people have now come to the conclusion that there are more differences (& opportunities for invention?) between the two fields. What about comparing Computer Games to Music ? This may sound a strange concept, but think about it what features does music have, how can it make you feel, what about its effect on groups, how profound can we make computer games, what about combining computer games with music (more often)? Any takers ?
Advertisement
Why compare? We have music in games, but we don''t have (full) movies in games because they are two different areas. Musics are a sub-group in games. A manager game on music industry could be neat, though.
I meant in terms of emotional impact, entertainment, structure. One of the "joys" of recorded music is the way that it seems fixed, so you know the good bits, but is that really true, what about jazzy dance music. Ie. You know the good bits, but each time that you hear them they are slightly different! (Could this be like games (replayability)).

As I said it is an obscure idea... but.
It''s a nice avenue of thought...
consider this:
Why is going to a concert different to listening to the CD? Why will people pay more to see a concert with an imperfect performance and worse quality than the CD? It''s happening right there and then, there''s a feeling of interactivity.
Which is more like playing games? Listening to music, or making music?
Improvising with your bandmembers is a little like roleplaying, but you all need to be pretty good musicians. Does this extend to the gaming as well?

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Just bumping this thread up again.

Does anyone feel like taking up this discussion? I don''t want to be talking to myself

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
My brain hurts. Ummm, ok here''s something:

quote: By MadKeithV
Why is going to a concert different to listening to the CD? Why will people pay more to see a concert with an imperfect performance and worse quality than the CD? It''s happening right there and then, there''s a feeling of interactivity.

Ok so a concert is the equivilant to a game as a cd is the equiv to a movie??

One other thing, about your name. Does "Mad" (Mad-KeithV) mean angry,insane or abbreviation for something? I''ve never heard of it before.

"So you're the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"
Mad ~ Insane
Keith ~ My nickname
V ~ A secret letter, knowledge of its meaning results in eternal damnation

But back to music:
I think "going to a concert" compares to "listening to the CD" in the same way that playing a current computer-roleplaying game compares to watching a movie. There''s a feeling of interactivity, you really think they are playing "for you", but it''s mostly an illusion.
Playing music, making it together, is what a game really should be - what happens should have an effect on the outcome, what you play will contribute to the music that your audience hears ( even if that audience is just the other people playing ).

~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
I haven''t replied to this (tho'' I''ve wanted to) because of my vast musical ignorance. I listen to a lot of Techno and Old School Rap, which many folks don''t even consider music!!

I did have a thought, tho'': I think music compares better to story than to games, linearity being the biggest factor. Listening to a favorite CD can compares somewhat with watching a favorite movie: You know and anticipate the overall direction and happily and reliably expect certain movements (like your favorite scenes in your favorite movie).

Since I''m arguing endlessly with Shinkage in the Writing Forum I''ll try not to let it spill over here, but here''s another thought: It''s difficult to make linear sequences correspond nicely with a highly fluid, non-linear experience. Some games have tried to do this:

* Wing Commander: Changed the music based on what you were doing. If enemies were near, the music became fast and urgent. If you were exploring, then it was more mysterious.

* Total Annihilation: The build phase was slow and melancholy. When combat occurred, great orchestral music complete with clashing cymbols and drum beating played.

Both effects were, unfortunately, meager. Neither WC nor TA could figure out overall granularity of situations. For instance, TA couldn''t tell the diff between a raid and a full scale battle, and thus switched music incessantly back and forth-- which sounded none to great. I guess it''s very hard to get the CPU to recognize __OVERALL__ what''s happening in a game. But this is an area for progress.

Right now, I think because it''s so difficult it''s better to have music low key, and in the background (ambient) or very general unless you''re doing a sequence where you *know* what''s going to be happening.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement