🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A game of relationships

Started by
3 comments, last by dodecahedron 19 years, 9 months ago
Here's a game idea in the abstract: You are enclosed in a space with others. You get to move around in the space and so do the others. You have hit points. You have an indicator that tells you how close you are to others. You start with a number of tokens, which you can trade with others. The object of the game is to keep your hit points up. You lose hit points if you pass too close to another without trading a token. Not just any token can be traded with just anyone. You may find extra tokens. If you survive long enough in the space, you go to another level. The levels are never ending. I'm still tossing around the idea of whether or not to let hit points be replenished and then how often. There is actually a story that goes with this, but I'm not sure that children would understand it so easily (this could be a game that children could play).
Advertisement
Sounds a little confusing to me... Also you seems to contradict yourself:

Quote:
If you survive long enough in the space, you go to another level.

Quote:
The levels are never ending.

Pardon?

And
Quote:
There is actually a story that goes with this, but I'm not sure that children would understand it so easily (this could be a game that children could play).

So you have a story that is possibly not comprehensible to kids, though it could be a game for children?

I guess you should think about it agein or try to elaborate a little on your idea...

I don't see any contradictions. Space Invaders and Tetris have never-ending levels too, yet you can still advance through them.

It sounds like a good idea. I'm just wondering if it would be a strategy game, or based on relexes or logic or...? Will it be real time or turn based?

You've intrigued me though. Hope you get something working I can see.
I just think he means there are an infinite number of levels, not that each individual level has no ending ;)
"Game Programming" in an of itself does not exist. We learn to program and then use that knowledge to make games.
Yes, well. I guess that I should have said that the number of levels is infinite like in space invaders or tetris.

With regard to the children, I meant that the rules should be simple enough for a child to understand, but the circumstance from which I derived the rules would be foreign to children. I suppose that the rules are abstract enough so that the players, the space and the tokens could be decorated in many ways. For example,

The players could be human beings.
The space could be a multi-room house with hallways.
The tokens could be things to say to one other.

or

The players could be squirrels
The space could be a city park
The tokens could be acorns

or

The players could be red icons
The space could be a blue field with green walls
The tokens could be yellow icons

I guess that I still have a way to go before making it complete...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement