🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Rendering systems

Started by
0 comments, last by neoGriff 23 years, 8 months ago
I just wanted to hear some ideas on what would be the best way to spend about $2500 on computers just for network rendering in 3D Studio Max 3. I managed to piece together a system on paper for around $650 with the following specs. Thunderbird 800 ASUS KA7 128MB PC133 SDRAM 6 GB hd 4MB video card 100mbps network card Mid ATX case with 300W power supply 52X CDROM drive What would be fastest for rendering animations, 3-4 of these systems, 2 dual processor systems, or 2 top of the line systems?
Advertisement
Hiya

Thunderbird 800
ASUS KA7
128MB PC133 SDRAM
6 GB hd
4MB video card
100mbps network card
Mid ATX case with 300W power supply
52X CDROM drive

128MB Memory is NOT ENOUGH. GO FOR 256MB MINUIMUM.
If it''s stictly just for rending and NOT modeling then you are right to save a bit of money by not buying an expensive video card.

What are you rendering? Depending on the output (are you rendering straight to compressed data or rendering uncompressed images/animations?) then 6GB Hard Disk space may be insufficient. Also rememeber that older (that means smaller) drives are alot slower.

HD wise try for IDE 7200rpm 8-9ms seek times.
Also don''t bother with SCSI unless you want Wide/Ultra Wide (and SCSI ain''t going to help your price!)

I''m not sure on specs for Thunderbird, so I''ll have to check...

I would love to see what anyone who knows would have to say Regarding muti-processor vs. network rendering and pro and cons.

I would logically believe network rendering to be the faster, as each machine render a frame, whereas SMP will only assist.

So Network Rendering or
Network Rendering and Multi Processor...

Network card is fine, and well, that''s it.

Intel Pentium III''s are dropping in price...so I''d keep an eye there also...

My main point to add here for regarding memory so, hope that helps. (it''s too slow otherwise)

www.stephen-hawes.co.uk

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement