🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Trying to reply to closed topics

Started by
3 comments, last by megmond 23 years, 8 months ago
Just a thought, I saw a topic I was interested in, replied, but when I finally sent it off, it said the topic was closed. Perhaps it''s a good idea (if possible) to remove the ''reply'' buttons from closed topics? That way the (stupid users don''t type in a whole reply before discovering that it''s useless. Nothing urgent in any case, just an idea. These forums are good stuff! Kind regards, Maarten Egmond.
Interested to know what I'm doing?Check out http://www.elmerproductions.com/igor
Advertisement
The reply button normally is disabled. Either you were writing your reply while the topic was being closed, or you got to the page in one of a couple of known ways in which the button isn''t removed.
quote: Original post by Myopic Rhino

The reply button normally is disabled. Either you were writing your reply while the topic was being closed, or you got to the page in one of a couple of known ways in which the button isn''t removed.

And what would these ways be?

-Jussi
Well, whether or not the button is displayed is determined by a parameter passed as part of the server request when you click on a link (I didn''t design this). There is more than one place you can find links to individual threads (the forum itself, the active topics list, the recent threads list on the main page, the bookmarks list, the forum stats page, and your own browser bookmarks). In a couple of those places (I can''t remember which) the parameter was inadvertantly omitted (something I''m going to fix).

In any case, whether or not the button appears, you still can''t actually post a reply to a closed thread.
Sounds right. I think I remember clicking on a link in a topic to get there, so that link might have been to blame.

In any case, it''s good to know it''s normally disabled!

Great forum!

Kind regards,
Maarten Egmond.
Interested to know what I'm doing?Check out http://www.elmerproductions.com/igor

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement