🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Designing text based RPGs

Started by
22 comments, last by MrSandman666 23 years, 8 months ago
Ok, this is a brainstorming session. What do you think makes a good text based RPG? Do you think cyberpunk would be suitable for that or is fantasy the one and only settiing? And why? What about rules and game mechanics? Just post everything about this what comes into your mind.
-----------------------------"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
Advertisement
I think a cyberpunk text RPG would be cool. Obviously the game would be turn-based. (I don''t know . . . maybe not.) It would have to be well-written. (Of course) People will forgive badly written text if they''re given pretty pictures to look at or color in. I could really get into cyberpunk. I haven''t seen much of it. I''m thinking like FFVII before you leave Midgar. Midgar was awesome, the rest of the game was pretty lacking.

More on this story as it develops
Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
Well, the first question I''d ask you is, what are your references ? What did you read, and thus what is gonna inspire you ? If you don''t have a lot of sources, then maybe now is the time to grab some books and start reading. This helps a lot.
Then, I don''t really see any problem with a text interface. Actually, it seems more plausible to me, as the cybepunk is dominated by technology, and the coldness of a text interface seems quite appropriate to me (if you are playing a hacker, that is )
Oh, and what kind of RPG have you read about, as well ?

As well, if you want answer, be very afraid of open topics like that ... this doesn''t seem to be vey popular from my own experience. Techies get very afraid when you give them too much space to think in

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Uhhh, what do you mean... real time text base RPG??? How would that be possible? I can only think of turn based ones. But that doesn''t mean, that there isn''t anthing else.

Ok, my references:
Played Shadowrun for quite a while now, been reading Shadowrun novels, know quite a lot about that system and world.
Have been looking into AD&D, MERS (which are both fantasy RPGs) and Vampire (which is set today, but is more cyberpunk than AD&D and MERS).
I guess that''s about it.

And about the text interface: The player won''t necessarily play a hacker. Thanx for the idea though. It would be a good possibility to implement a direct console for hacking.

And I posted this topic on the design forum because I hoped not to get only techies but also some really creative brains, writers and gamers.
Well, go forth and read William Gibson, after *HE* created the gnere ... so go get "Neuromancer", personally I like "Burning Chrome" where you''ll find the original story that later turned into "Johnny Mnemonic"; also read "Count Zero" and ...well ... anything by Gibson. There is also another book by someone else, I think it''s "Gravity Kills" in english, not sure. If you played Shadowrun you should check out the bibliography (if you''ve got the books).

What do I mean real time with text ? Well ... simply that the game can very well be. But if you are doing a single player, I guess why bother

If you want more ideas for storie. Go on the writing forum

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
The one thing that i think would make a modern-future day game that way is range-based combat. I.E. you don''t have to be standing in the same room to attack someone if you have a firearm/projectile weapon. And the Heavier the gun/firearm the further away you could fire. Of course this also adds up to stuff like accidentally hitting a bystander in a room between you and your target.
Anyway, for reading(research) materials...
Shadowrun 3rd Edition published by FASA
It is THE authoritive Cyberpunk RPG.
Neuromancer & Johnny Mneumonic by William Gibson
These books DEFINED the cyberpunk genre.
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson
Another BIG NAME cyberpunk book.
Akira and Ghost in the Shell -Anime
Both of these films have a real cyberpunk feeling to them
besides just being fun to watch

-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_The_Shadows@excite.com

quote: Original post by Run_The_Shadows
Shadowrun 3rd Edition published by FASA
It is THE authoritive Cyberpunk RPG.

I disagree - Shadowrun has magic. Cyberpunk 2.0.2.0. has a much more raw and stylish feel to it.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
I wasn''t shure yet wether to use magic or not. I definately do anything to get Shadowrun 3rd Edition and the most importand extensions.
In my opinion, Shadowrun is the best cyberpunk world ever (although I have to damit that I don''t have much experience with other games).
Ahh... Wouldn''t a hacker RPG be cool!! *drool*

-Jussi

"Calmly walk from slut to slut
Up everyone. You know I don''t mind a fuck
No protection baby, who fucking cares
Take a look. Come on. Everyone stare"
A hacker RPG?
Could you be a little more specific, please?
Do you mean you would acutally play a hacker, running around in a world, hackig all kinds of computers or does the player have to actually hack the game?

In my original plans, the player could become a hacker if he wanted to, but he could also become a fighter, assasin, pilot, whatever (I won''t use classes. Styles can be created by choosing proficiencies. Kinda pseudo classes).

Oh and Selkrank, where is your signature from? Lyrics?
And it would be good if you wouldn''t use iany more. It doesn''t offend me, in fact I like them, but some filters may block this thread when they encounter works like that.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement