🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Online Games

Started by
15 comments, last by bishop_pass 23 years, 8 months ago
I am thinking out the concept for an online game that I believe would play very differently from any game currently out there. The initial prototype shouldn''t be terribly complex, nor graphically intense, but could be fascinating in how the players cooperate and develop. If anybody here plays online games or has checked some out, I would like to know what they are so I can look at them for comparison to my idea.
Advertisement
Well, you know about the 2 big ones, right? Everquest and Ultima Onine.

Everquest is killing all the time.

Ultima Online is focused more on the community and building.

"" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Don't forget Asheron's Call (the third largest MMORPG), it is looting and killing all of the time =P

I used to play it, but finally convinced myself to quit .

<table BORDER=1 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0 WIDTH=100%><tr><td BGCOLOR=white align=center>Null and Void
"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" --Homer Simpson</td></tr></table>

Edited by - Null and Void on October 8, 2000 4:30:17 PM
Ahh, look what that did to my signature, it just isn''t right!

Null and Void
"In this house we obey the laws of thermodynamics!" --Homer Simpson
Thanks for the pointers so far, but please keep them coming. I want to know about the obscure ones, the strange ones, the different and unique ones, the up and coming ones. My idea is so different from these. It''s not about roaming the countryside, killing, etc.

how about free ones? I $0 for buying games and registering and singing up for online stuff. So, for the most part, I go without.

shut up
CAN I GET A WOO WOO!

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

I didn''t mention AC ''cause I figured it was just more hack & slash hehe. Most of the not as popular MMORPGs I''ve played seem to be basically the same stuff.

Well...except Underlight. It uses no NPCs except monsters. Real players get chosen to be teachers that train the PCs. I played for a while. I never got too into it, but they at least try to be different.

"" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
That actually sounds like a good theory, wonder if it will ever work out (the description of Underlight) as well as hack and slash games seem to.

Null and Void
yeah, it is a cool idea, and I think it could work. I never really go into the game much though. It still started turning out to be mostly killing stuff, but there were different houses that believed in different things. There were a few teachers per house, and they''d teach you stuff sometimes in exchange for doing favours for them. Also the world was basically supposed to be a dreamworld. And when you quit playing it''s supposed to be like you wake into the real world. You may want to check out www.underlight.com. They at least tried to be more interesting.

""" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft
Oh, just remembered something...

When I quit AC, I decided to figure out why I hated it so much . My conclusion was the main flaw in the game was people. But that didn''t make much since, because you play a MMORPG to be around/among people...

So maybe you should have a game where people take a test to determine how the will effect the environment of the game, and if they score poorly (meaning they''ll annoy and tick off more people than they won''t), make them pay up front for a certain amount of months of playing. And anyone that has negative effects upon the gameplay can be banned. This isn''t very economical or realistic though, I admit it .

Another idea is to (once again) make people take a test to determine whether they should be on a chaotic or good side of the world''s culture. That way people would act out the plot in the way their own mind works.

Yeah, I know that the making people take a test idea has major flaws, but it is the best way I can think of to find out how people think/act around other people. Also, the test would have to change or cheat sheets would be created, et cetera...

Anyway, that is just my take on it .

Null and Void

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement