🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Sims meet Quake III Arena

Started by
2 comments, last by cooldaddyk 23 years, 8 months ago
I just just read the post on The Sims meet TNG and I thought what if The Sims meet Quake III Arena. I don''t want to make a game on it but I just curious about what others think about this.
Advertisement
I think you''d end up with a completely boring game using a dated 3D engine.
maybe I just missed the boat... but are you saying the Q3 engine is out of date?

---------------
http://ratfest.org
Weird. I''ll try any idea, once.

Now, I assume you don''t just mean the Quake engine, right? Okay, so...

Q3A: Shooting, precise aiming, running and jumping, health / ammo management, frenetic gameplay. Goal: Frag, or be fragged.

The Sims: Character Interaction, Tamagotchi-like Sim growth, environmental manipulation, and happiness / environmental factor management

Hmmmm.... *takes out blowtorch and hammer*

How would these fit together? Q3A is about shooting other folks, the Sims is about growth. Q3A *could* have a persistent, changing world. Players could change the world as a part of their tactical strategy, maybe by spontaneously placing things, moving walls, within economic confines. The economic confines could be based on kills, so frags allow you to get more money which allows you to get better stuff.

You *could* make something like this in the capture the flag mold. CTF de-emphasizes the individual frags in place of a goal. Maybe you''d make the goal altering the environment to benefit the players (Sims). To physically alter the level, players would have to be at certain points. They could spawn doors, stairs, turrets, and a wide variety of other devices. They could even knock out and rebuild ceilings, floors and walls.

The gadgetry they buy would allow this, and allow them to negotiate the new level in their quest to frag one another. Imagine tunneling through a level, or blowing away the floor out from under them, or dropping a makeshift bridge to cross a chasm. Your ultimate goal should probably be CTF, though. And you''d need a kick a$$ engine to do this and make it all look good.

I think your audience would be Q3A players more than Sim fans, though.

Was this what you meant?

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement