🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Ideas for an adventure game...

Started by
2 comments, last by esmeco 19 years, 8 months ago
I'm planning an adventure game related to pirates(like Curse of Monkey island) and islands,but I'm lacking some ideas.SO,I would appreciate any ideas you could give me for island and ship names.I already have a story planned out.Sort of....
Advertisement
For the ship names that's easy =), has to be be ladies names =D.

Ship names? That depends on the culture it's from. Personal names, the names of streams or even items of clothing or non-physical things (USS Abraham Lincoln, USS Missouri, HMS Pinafore, HMS Bounty) can all work, even in English/American culture. Why not research pirates and use the names of their ships? Try the Library of Congress and Worldcat for that.

As for island names...try basing it on geographical features or hinting at historical events that took place there. "North Hump Island" might strike you as amusing and not very piratical, but how inventive is your average sailing hack-and-slasher? "Left Hand Island" might refer to the loss of a hand, or it could simply have been on the left when the cartographer saw it.

More common names would refer to the fauna or flora of the island: Coney Island (though that probably refers to something other than rabbits), Oak Island, etc. Geological features are also common: Wake Island, Crater Island. And there's always the option of using local or at least non-English names: Hawaii, the Aleutians, and so forth.
Thanks for the help!^_^
That left hand island idea is really interesting!^___^

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement