🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Tell me a story. . .

Started by
6 comments, last by Tom 20 years, 7 months ago
Hi everyone. This will probably be a long and very opinionated topic if I get half the response I''m hoping for. I''d like some input on a story idea I have. Or rather, an idea I''ve had for years and am just now refining. We have a world divided into four nations on the mainland. There was a war going on between two of them until just recently. The war began as a result of religious differences. To be more specific, one of the nations practiced some very unorthodox forms of magic, and another nation resisted violently. I don''t want to be too specific, because my background is FREAKIN'' HUGE. I''ve done a ton of extra development over the last week, and it essentially doubled in size. Now, here is my predicament. This war began over religious differences. It lasted for hundreds of years. Now, it''s not likely that a war over beliefs will last hundreds of years. I need some reasons as to why this war continued for so long. Here is a little background to help out: Only two of the nations have been in direct conflict during the war. The other two nations provided assistance but were not involved in any major battles. So, what we have is a large-scale racial war. The dark elves follow a religion that is starkly opposite to that of all the other elves. They began practicing magic that affected the soul. To the other elves, affecting or even studying the soul is vulgar heresy. I mean, it''s number-one on the list of "worst things you can possibly do." The Soleri, a race or elves that I''ve based on Japanese culture, did not like this. They sent some spies over to find out if the rumors were true, and once verified, they commenced with the whoop-ass. This war was dragged on for centuries. Why? That''s the question I need to answer. I''ve got all the development in between, including the final peace treaty that was enacted just a short while before the game begins (from the player''s point-of-view). I just don''t have a reason for combat to go on for so long. Now, any reasonable person might say, "if there''s not a reason, then leave it out." But this war is literally the basis of my game, so I need to keep it in or else a lot of my development is wasted. All I need are some examples of why a war might evolve from religious differences into something more long-standing. Thanks for your help, everyone.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

Advertisement
What about revenge...

The cause of the war was lost to the participants, and they knew and felt was the loss of their patriot brothers who''s blood was shed in the battles befor them. That alone empassioned both sides to eliminate the other. To rid there enemies for the face of the earth.

Sort of like the blood feudes that go on for generations.

Prejudice - these cultures have learned to hate each other so much that they don''t care why they are fighting anymore.

Revenge - to avenge the deaths of their fallen war heroes, family members, etc.

Honor - for one country to stop fighting, ask for peace, give up, or try to end the war would shame the entire country.

Tradition - wars have always in the past been fought until one side is completely obliterated

Zealism - the countries are so religious that they cannot allow the war to end until they have purged the other from the world.

Self-defense - both countries believe they must keep fighting or the other country will kill them.

Distrust - one of the countries doesn''t believe the other when they offer peace.

Any combination of the above

It really depends on the cultures involved. The two countries might have different reasons. The ''Japanese'' culture might favor honor. Also, only one country has to want to keep fighting. So maybe the dark elves are fighting to protect themselves and the other elves want to end the war but the dark elves don''t think the other elves really will stop fighting.

If you have freakin'' huge background information then choosing one of these should not be so hard. I think that the war should come from the cultures beliefs and not the other way around but I have no problem with fudging for plot''s sake.

I hope my ideas are useful.

Several billion trillion tons of superhot exploding hydrogen nuclei rose slowly above the horizon and managed to look small, cold and slightly damp.-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams
I''ve made a revision to my background so it makes more sense. I can''t see warfare continuing for centuries at a time, so let''s change this to "open hostility."

Your ideas are great. As Forneiq said, prejudice will raise a lot of tension between two cultures. The Japanese-based culture would definitely hold honor far above humiliation. The dark elves would continue fighting to stay alive. You hit that right on the mark.

The Great Jihad, as it is called, did stem from the cultures'' beliefs. The war itself is not the basis for my races; it is only the basis for my story.

If I need any more advice, I''ll be sure to post. Thanks for the input.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

Hello, does anyone know if Tom is still around? If so, how is the game going, Tom? Do you still need this thread?

official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
I agree that centuries-long open warfare is unlikely. It might make more sense and give a little more depth to the storyline if it happened like this:

Long ago, the Dark Elves began practicing magic that affects the soul. The other (Light?) elves condemned these practices and decided to purge their land of Dark elves. Pillaging on a massive scale ensued. A small group of the most able Dark Elves were forced to retreat to another geographical area, where they set up a new government, a new nation. But many thousands of Dark Elves remained behind under the control of the Light Elves, no better than slaves. For centuries the Dark Elves in the Light Land have been oppressed, and there has been sporadic fighting between the two nations. But now the Dark Elves in the other country feel strong enough to destroy the Light Elves and rescue their oppressed brethren. So the war that never really ended, begins anew.

War between two nations is isn't usually easily explainable. It helps if those two nations used to be one nation, that means both sides have a real stake in the conflict. And while cultural differences can certainly lead to war, there has got to be some real definitive reason for the conflict to occur. (such as the rise of an unusually charismatic leader in the Light Elf race who decides that the Dark Elves are dangerous heretics, and manages to convince the rest of the Light Elves to believe the same)

[edited by - Malone1234 on November 28, 2003 1:07:03 PM]

[edited by - Malone1234 on November 28, 2003 1:08:09 PM]
There is no reason a war couldn''t continue for hundreds of years. There have been wars and conflicts thats have lasted for hundreds of years already in hunman history. One good way to keep the war raging is to have a stalemate. If neither side ever achives anything then neither side has reason to end the war. You could include fear as another motivation, if the soul magic of the dark magic gives a signficant advantage over any other single nation then they may see the war as their own hope for survial thus the other nations where trying to crush the dark elves while the dark elves where attempting surive the onslaught. There magic gave them the advantage they needed to fight back against the combinded armies of their enimes. However since the combined nations are much larger and more powerful then the dark elves, the dark elves can never achive any significant victories. Thus the war rages for centuries by bothsides carried on by fear, hatred and prejudice.

-----------------------------------------------------
Writer, Programer, Cook, I''m a Jack of all Trades
Current Design project
Chaos Factor Design Document

Tom hasn''t posted anything since July, so I suspect he may not be around to hear this. If he is, please speak up. Oh, well, this is my last bump here unless Tom returns.

official Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section
____________________________________________________________unofficial Necromancer of GameDev forums Game Writing section

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement