🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Story ideas...

Started by
1 comment, last by esmeco 19 years, 7 months ago
I'm planning to make an adventure,but now came to a part where I'm lacking ideas to continue developing the story for my game.It's about a pirate and his captain,who after looting an enemy pirate ship,he sees himself unintentionally breaking the PMOC(Pirates Manual of Conduct) and getting marroned on a desert island.That's basicly the intro.I'm now on the 1st part of the game where his goal is getting out of the island and cleaning up his name.He found a hut on the inside of the island habited by an old man who carves pirate ships on wood,and I want him to have something to do to help the character to exit the island but I can't figure out what to do now.I'm really lacking ideas,so any ideas are welcomed. Thanks in advance!
Advertisement
haha, Pirate Manual of Conduct, I love it :) (Page 1: Rape, THEN pillage!)

Anyway...perhaps fleshing out why the pirate gets marooned would point you in a good direction. How does it connect to him violating the pirate rules? Is he trying to clear his name in "straight" society or among pirates? Maybe his pirate crew is scandalized at his behavior and mutinies, forcing him to walk the plank and swim the last few feet to the island.

Since the pirate is forced to be on the island, I think it'd be neat if the old man was on the island by choice. Old man could be feuding with his brother or his wife or something, and decided to go be a hermit to avoid having to deal with all the squabbles. At which point you'd have to somehow convince him to go back to the mainland and patch things up. (Maybe your pirate happens to know his family, and you tell him his daughter recently had a baby and he really ought to go meet his grandson.) Of course the old man has a boat stashed somewhere on the island, indicating he's not really as much of a hardass as he likes people to think.

Then on the way to the mainland, you could have an encounter with a sea monster, other pirates, a storm, something like that, in order to get a good mix of thoughtful stuff & action. I'm picturing a scene where the old guy walks into the old house he used to live in, almost buried under seamonster steaks, whistling merrily and pretending it's just a normal day. :P
If a squirrel is chasing you, drop your nuts and run.
Well,after pillaging an enemy ship,the loot was shared equally by the crew members and the Captain would have a bigger part than the others.In that share of the treasure,the Captain got a gold and diamond encrustated pirate hat.Once the Captain found out that the hat was missing he searched every crew member belongigs for his hat,and eventually found it hidden among the main character's stuff.Obviously he was atonished to see the pirate hat among his belongings and had no idea how it got there.So his punishment for stealing part of the captain's treasure was to get marooned...I hope this makes sense!That walking the plank and swimming the last few feet to the island seems good..I'll think I'll add it...Any more ideas are gladly welcomed!
Thanks in advance

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement