🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MMOPOS

Started by
31 comments, last by Landfish 23 years, 8 months ago
What did you think it stood for. Massive Multiplayer on-line Piece of... Alright, some of us in the Writing forum were talking about MMO again. It quickly degenerated into a mere Design conversation (kidding, sheesh.) so I''m taking it up here. So here''s the beef. All of these problems; PKing, OOCing, Goblin Genocide, Murder Based Experience, LevelQuest, and all of the general stupidity that (IMHO) makes Graphical MMOPOS''s unbearable; all of these problems stem from the same source. SINGLE PLAYER AND MULTI-PLAYER ARE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT ANIMALS. That''s right. When you are off to make your very own MMOPOS, be sure to throw that single-player designer''s handbook under the nearest moving train. It''ll do you no good at all. Now, you guys know me, I don''t think many people nowadays have a good SINGLE-Player handbook, and these poor sops are trying to write a MMO with single player logic. What did you expect but a giant competetive mess? The only thing you reward is murder for chrissake! Now, I belive there is a balance out there. A natural balance between Conflict and Roleplay, real roleplay not "Do you want this magic sword, or can I have it?" I think it''s out there. But there are a lot of obstacles to it''s inception. Patchwork solutions will fail you in MMO design. You can''t just make a rule for the sake of keeping the game together, the rule has to arise organically out of the setting and gameplay rules. This is hard. We need Goblin. Alright, that''s what''s on my mind. Guys? ====== "The unexamined life is not worth living." -Socrates "Question everything. Especially Landfish." -Matt
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Advertisement
Because I don''t look at other games for inspiration, I don''t suffer from envisioning a YATJLWAS (Yet Another Thing Just Like We''ve Already Seen) type game.

In my mind resides the real potential and model for online multi-player games. It is truly different, truly exploits the concept of multi-player, and takes little inspiration from even the best of the genre.

Rule Number 1: Stop looking at existing plots and changing names for your own plot.

Rule Number 2: Stop looking at existing game-playing models and changing the plot.

I''m sorry, what was the topic of this thread? I was too busy fighting my NetHack addiction to pay attention to what I was reading.

trying to figure out whether that was the trademark Johnnyfish sarcasm

"""" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft --pouya --nes8bit --CmndrM " -- Nazrix

"If your parents didn't explain this one, I'm not going to." --Felisandria

"You know you're cool when you're in Nazrix's sig :) " --Martee

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
If you design a mmorpg the same way as you do a single players rpg then it would make sence to presume that there will be overcrowding problems arising through the game. So yeah, it does make sence to start afresh with the concept building for mmorpg''s over single player models.

"So you're the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"
It also makes sense that everyone is pretty much playing for themselves, and there''s just other people doing the same. UO did give some sense of community. They''re not as guilty as EQ and AC.

"""" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft --pouya --nes8bit --CmndrM " -- Nazrix
"If your parents didn't explain this one, I'm not going to." --Felisandria
"You know you're cool when you're in Nazrix's sig :) " --Martee
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I''m one of the anonymous posters that helped to distract the original thread. Not a designer but, like most non-designers, I think I should be. Anyhow, if a gameplayer''s opinion is welcome I''d be happy to share it here.

As a roleplayer first and a computer gamer second I''ve found online roleplaying an interesting concept in theory but rarely done well in execution. Frankly I''m in complete concurrence with Landfish''s summation of the situation but I think a functional MMORPG that can support actual IC roleplaying is entirely possible.

The problem with MMORPGs from a roleplayer''s point of view is that the code, hence the reality, of the engine doesn''t care a whit about characterization. Any roleplaying is superficial at best and generally beside the actual point - mugging monsters and raising levels. Powergamers rightly scoff at the poofters playing make believe in a world they can''t affect and aren''t even really a part of. Any biography, and hence motivation for a character''s persona or any goals aside from being high level one day, won''t stand up to scruitiny - the events never happened as far as the world engine is concerned.

Socialization is crippled aside from flocking together for defense without the underlaying social structures of family, clan and country. Familial groups are less than meaningless without real property and economic underpinnings. Wars are trite without passion and conviction and, oh yes, greed. Without player character rulers and factions - what''s there to talk about? NPC orcs spawning? A fancy new magic item? What''s the point of having power if there''s nothing to do with it but get more power? What''s heroism or sacrifice without death? Real death?

Create the channels for socialization and competition in a setting with real limited resources and real character death. Allow for formal biological relationships and informal factional ones. Tie inheritance of property to those relationships.

With players naturally doing what players do best, creating mayhem, a game master will never have to write a story again. The players will do all the work. And with real death in the picture PKing will become a very risky hobby and one not attempted without considerable reason.

Toss the old ideas about dungeons and scripted modules and levels and monsters. Instead present a social world where characters can wander in and, just dealing with each other, form dynamic factions in a balanced and somewhat realistic world. UO was onto the right idea but reincarnation and the typically ludicrous power inflation of a D&D-style levelling game make any imagined depth of economy and society impossible to simulate.

Beleive it or not, people, but I do believe that I just had an idea *shock! Gasp!*

Instead of the cheese (hehe) belonging to the tasks that are accomplished (like murder in most cases), the cheese should be rewarded for the most interesting divergence in the story. Basically, make the actual character that the player creates have no effect on the game. The character can be as weak as piss, but the more they experience, the better their characters persona and the greater their character ''grows'' as a person. Since I only just had this thought, I haven''t really given any thought to how you may construct this new cheese. Would it merely be something similar to a reputation that allows the character more of a free reign around towns, or would it be a wisdom effect where the player actually understands more clearly about everything? To advance the story (and therefore advance their character) the player must not dally in feilds killing monsters, but must make haste to finish their quest (whatever it may be).

You are probably all going ''easy to say, but lets see you do it''. I don''t think it is really that easy to acheive, but I think that it is the right direction to be traveling in. Story subtlety might give the actual player more comfort in themselves. If you construct your world correctly, then you should know a fair bit more about your world that is unseen by the player in the game. If you can introduce subtle clues as to, for example, the origins of magic, then the player may feel like they are clever enough to discover this and this would give them hope.

Also - I agree with LF that single and MMO are completely different. You can''t possibly have a single player game that holds as an MMO game. For one thing, I would try and remove anything that keeps a linear story in MMO because it restricts everyone in to doing the same things and there would always end up being a dash to finish it first. I also dislike the consistency aspect of different players having to complete the same quest. It just seems out of the ordinary to do such.

I have ranted enough now...

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

bishop_pass : I used to think like you. If I do everything on my own, then for sure I can''t copy anyone, right ? Not.
The problem is that by not looking at others work, you might end up doing exactly what they did, hoping to do exactly what they were hoping to do...

I say know you enemy. Learn as much as you can from other people''s mistake.

The fool man always make the same mistake.
The good man never do the same mistake twice.
The wise man learns from other people''s mistakes...

youpla :-P

Or maybe I am completely off topic
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
That is very insightful ahw. I think that your quotes actually mean a lot more than just what they say. I agree with you wholeheartedly. Learning from mistakes makes us better, and can benefit others. Imagine what it will be like once all the mistakes have been made and everybody has learned from them. Software will be perfect! And there will be no Pentium I like chips in existence!

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement