🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Building monster personalites - method #

Started by
4 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 8 months ago
I was thinking of how some of the original fantasy monsters where created. Monsters like the Minotour or doppleganger for example came from the Politic''s during the renaissance period (14th century) of middle Europe considered the beginning of italy. Politicians would come up with terminologies like Minotour to express the personalities of a well known politician. A lot of other mythological creatures today came about through these methods. This could be considered a method in which to make monsters of your own for you game. Using this method would also allow for some unique monsters. I was thinking of looking a famous people these day''s and make monsters off their well known personalities. I think it would work. "So you're the one that designed that game are you?" *Gulp* "Umm, yeah"
Advertisement
The Minotaur is an ancient greek monster.The Dopplegänger is a myth from...well, up north.
But your idea is good.Hmmm...
A monster that is dumb, xenophobic and does whatever it is told by the bigger monsters.
Nahh, that exists already.But it brought me to an interesting conclusion : a famous american politician is a goblin !

Runemaster now working on Acronia : Secrets of Magic
Join the Game Developers RuneRing !
""""" "'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree"-Nazrix" -- runemaster --and now dwarfsoft" -- dwarfsoft --pouya" -- Nazrix" -- Nazrix
-----Jonas Kyratzes - writer, filmmaker, game designerPress ALT + F4 to see the special admin page.
quote: Original post by Paul Cunningham

This could be considered a method in which to make monsters of your own for you game. Using this method would also allow for some unique monsters. I was thinking of looking a famous people these day''s and make monsters off their well known personalities. I think it would work.

Hm... politicians make good monsters. How subtle.

Seriously, I think it would work, but it doesn''t have to be a known person, as long as you don''t make your best friend an ugly slime monster with three dozen tentacles (unless (s)he''s like that in real life). Nazrix and Landfish would make great (and horrifying) boss monsters.

-Jussi

"anna minun laskea käteni vielä kun ehdin
kun se vielä tuntuu ihmisen elämältä
anna minun huokua haavetta"

- CMX
Politician monsters? LOL!

Anyone ever play that old game where you went to Hell and found folks like Oliver North and Jerry Falwell down there as monsters? What a weird game, can''t remember the title tho''.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
quote: Original post by Wavinator

Anyone ever play that old game where you went to Hell and found folks like Oliver North and Jerry Falwell down there as monsters? What a weird game, can''t remember the title tho''.

Sounds like a certain book to me.

-Jussi

"feed me light, I''m the halo of darkness
feel my might, I''m the eye of the universe"

- Ayreon

I got this info from the book The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli. I think they must have been assigning names to politicians instead of making them up. I''ve got the book here so i''ll have a look through again and see exactly what was writen. Just for the record.

"So you're the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement