🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Science as gameplay

Started by
12 comments, last by Wavinator 23 years, 8 months ago
I remember a game named Dungeon Master where spells where made of a combination of several glyphs. The first one indicated the strength of the spell, the second one indicated the element involved (fire, air, water, earth, creatures or the void), the third one indicated an action and the last one was the magical realm involved. For example created light wich lasted a long time, was for the big fireball, gave life potion...
So if your system is logical enough, it would not be hard to guess what are the correct combinations... I remember my pleasure at finding a spell myself instead of finding the scroll the formula...
In my opinion the potion system in Daggerfall sucked because you could not guess the correct mix to achieve the effect you wanted, if a game had this kind of system for potion, spells or whatever, I would run for it immediatly
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
Advertisement
Dungeon Master and the sequel are two of my all-time favorite role-playing games. The runic magic system didn''t make any sense, and it wasn''t applied as well as it should have been (spells were limited to specific combinations, so you could guess thousands of rune combinations that did absolutely nothing).

Still, mixing ingredients/runes/vital organs and watching the results is always fun, as long as every combination does something. I doesn''t even have to be anything useful (e.g., "Your hair turns blue"), but it should do something.

Writing a story based on this process would be fairly simple, even if it is somewhat cliched. "Evil sorcerer casts powerful spell on kingdom. You must find a counter spell by searching for rare magical ingredients on faraway island." And so forth.

It''s a start, anyway.

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

I think I didn''t made myself clear enough ... what you need is not a system where you can try *randomly* to find interesting things. But rather a system that make sense in itself. A system where for instance, the user manual would explain the basics, and the player, either through experiment, or through NPCs would learn new things. If you clearly establish in the game that sulphur is a symbol of fire, and that alchemy works on the symbols of different elements. Then you would try mixing Sulphur with different ingredients until you reach the effect you wanted, or some other. It''s not like having a yellow powder, and a black one, and mixing them to see a yellow and black powder.
There has to be some sense in all this, otherwise the player don''t feel the same pleasure of discovering something.
It''s much more gratifying to discover something through reflexion than through mere luck
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
This idea relates quite strongly to what i'm doing aswell. But instead of chemistry i'm using biology as the science. The player fiddles with their biology to change what they can do in the game but from a scientic perspective. The player see's the systems that make up their body and tampers with them in order to be better at one thing than another. If a player boosts their characters hearing perception then then a toll will come into play as does usually in science. There's no doubt about it, science as a gameplay mechanic will satisfy the wants of the more interlectual orientated audience.

"So you're the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"

Edited by - Paul Cunningham on October 20, 2000 8:21:56 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement