🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

the perfect online rpg

Started by
23 comments, last by OoMMMoO 23 years, 8 months ago
What are your ideas for the perfect online rpg? I think a game where you could do almost anything considering tear down a building with a catapult you bought from a friend who is an engineer and built it for you, and for the next 2 days the towns people begin to rebuild it and you are wanted by the towns guards. A place with a real weather system, were you could build a fence for your land around a castle, but the guy who owns a castle a ways away wants your land so he gets his friends and hired computer controlled mercinaries to try and take your land. A place were trees are destroyed but regrow. You could have buy a ship from an engineer and put cannons on it and go be a pirate if you wanted to. Post your ideas tell me what you think. Brendon
Advertisement
Heheheheheee...

Well, I think this topic''s been pretty thoroughly covered, at least from my perspective, and that of several others. Check the "Nethack... Nope, but something" thread. It''s in the top 10 most popular of all time.

I''m still interested in moving that project forward, but not by myself. If you''ve got the motivation to get it going again, I''ve still got everything we worked on.
If a man is talking in the forest, and there is no woman there to hear him, is he still wrong?
It would be one where the setting was fresh, rather than recycled Tolkein. The designers would have heard of some other place than Western Europe, circa AD 1200-1500

I mean, come on... Three Massively Multiplayer games out there... and what are they? Friggin clones of each other. *sigh* Oh well.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
You could invent your own culture by mixing different aspects of others together, like the art of the East with the weapons of the West with the religious fanaticism of the Middle East and the social structure of the Native Americans on a country similar to Brazil. That would be weird.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

quote: Original post by capn_midnight

You could invent your own culture by mixing different aspects of others together, like the art of the East with the weapons of the West with the religious fanaticism of the Middle East and the social structure of the Native Americans on a country similar to Brazil. That would be weird.

Sweet! Now that I''d play!

BTW, my rant comes from wanting to be surprised my RPGs in general, and constantly running into Orcs, Wizards, and Trolls. I know a bazillion people just __LUV__ this setting, but how much of the same old same old can you take???

Even if you keep the high fantasy setting, how would it change things if you were in a desert land, or subterranean, or on a world without continents?!?!?!?!

Just a smidgen of originality, PUUUUUULLLLEEEEEASE!!!

--------------------
LOL

Nope, sorry but the Law of the Market says we must make Fantasy, and not to complicated or different or the consumers will sue us... "the goblins are supposed to die when I kill them, not start talking to me ! How could I know I had to talk to that goblin to solve the quest ?! You should have put a label on the forehead of the monster indicating that he was game plot material !!! I want my money back"

who can say I have something against the "I''ll sure your ass" politic ...

Just one question Wav, what would you come up for originality ? Cyberpunk ? Now think about it ... what''s the difference between Hacking my way through hordes of goblins, using spells to open doors, penetrate the castle of the evil general, and recover the endangered princess; and shooting my way through a gang of lowlife punks, using my l33t hax0ring skillZ to enter a corpo building and find the mysterious data we are there to recover ?

mmmh ? I ask you

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
what about a futeristic fallout type online rpg? Where the world was destroyed the precious things are stuff like oil kind of like the old movie mad max!!
quote: Original post by Wavinator

Sweet! Now that I''d play!

BTW, my rant comes from wanting to be surprised my RPGs in general, and constantly running into Orcs, Wizards, and Trolls. I know a bazillion people just __LUV__ this setting, but how much of the same old same old can you take???

Even if you keep the high fantasy setting, how would it change things if you were in a desert land, or subterranean, or on a world without continents?!?!?!?!

Just a smidgen of originality, PUUUUUULLLLEEEEEASE!!!

--------------------

I agree with you guys a lot. I have to admit that I basically like the medival fantasy setting generally also. It''s just all the other crap that RPGs do that bothers me...(hopeless linearity, excessive, meaningless slaughter...you know the rest).
I just hope you guys won''t think me a hypocrite if I use the somewhat typical medival setting

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
quote: Original post by ahw

Just one question Wav, what would you come up for originality ? Cyberpunk ? Now think about it ... what''s the difference between Hacking my way through hordes of goblins, using spells to open doors, penetrate the castle of the evil general, and recover the endangered princess; and shooting my way through a gang of lowlife punks, using my l33t hax0ring skillZ to enter a corpo building and find the mysterious data we are there to recover ?

mmmh ? I ask you

Hahaha! "Ahw, thou dost vex me greatly!!!"

Yup, a goblin is a goblin is a goblin...

However, the hacking paradigm does seem to have a few logical underpinnings that you normally don''t see in magic, namely:
-remote access, or affecting things at a great distance
-being in multiple places at once (your terminal, and in the system)
-being able to take control of electronic devices
-being able to alter the instructions / AI of mechanical entities
-navigating, affecting, damaging, and controlling a system
-"being" a system at the AI level (meaning you *are* the wires, cameras, and walls, and are affected when it is affected )

At some point, you can replace magic with tech and still get the same gameplay. Even *I* could come up with magical counter examples:
-long range spell casting
-astral projection (leaving the body vulnerable)
-possession
-charming, suggestion
-navigating, affecting, damaging and control the energies of the etherial plane
-"being" a Djinn, or enchanted building

I will guarantee you, though, that the hacking style of gameplay, with all its color / variants, has been done a lot less than the magical one, no?!!!!

--------------------
Actually, personally, I find the futruristic whole world is destroyed thing more tiresome than medival fantasy, but that''s just me. There''s been a ton of movies like that.

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement