🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Good ol' days.

Started by
38 comments, last by Run_The_Shadows 23 years, 8 months ago
I was checking in the General Coding forum and there was someone looking for an old game. And it got me thinking. Why, in this day and age, would you really want to play these ancient dos-based Mode-X 256 color games? To answer the question i pulled out a few old disks, and started installin''. First up, X-Com(UFO actually, but same thing). Drek, I must have spent a couple of hours on this alone. I play strategy games, turn-based & real-time. I''m generally am pretty good at them. But let me tell you after years of not playing, it took nearly an hour and 5 tries to survive more than a few funding cycles. Second, Descent. If you don''t know this game, you should be kicked in the head. I remember playing this avidly years back, and now i remember why, the motional freedom is so exciting, and the vertigo you can feel at some times is sickening. Next up, The Bard''s Tale. An RPG classic, from EA''s early days. I didn''t even get that far into this one. When RPGs are judged these days by how many play hours, and character-value and such, I wonder how such a simple Goblin-Genocide-ish game is so much fun. Another RPG,Pool of Radiance. Yes, the graphics suck, but when games such as Ultima Underworld and Doom were ruling the ''3D'' market, this and its sisters must have slipped through the cracks. 3D exploration, 2D tile-based combat. And you have to EARN every copper you gain. Turn-Based Strategy, Reach For The Stars. A VERY addictive game. Basically another galaxy-conquest games, but when you turn on the advanced rules, things get tricky. This game deserves a new incarnation(Mebbe a future project for me?) After spending(read: wasting) so much time with these old goodies, I see what makes them attractive. Their simple nature. So I was just wondering: What is your favorite "Classic" game, and why? This RtS-Babble© has been brought to you by -Run_The_Shadows -Run_The_Shadows@excite.com
Advertisement
Funny you should mention that, I just dug up CivNet from the abandonkeep... and I''ve been playing it for hours and hours... it''s great fun, specially with two people, even though it''s simple as dirt and not specially fancy-looking.

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
Zork 1! I remember in the last hours of finally completing Zork 1, there was a feeling of intensity about it, despite the one turn at a time text based interface.

I think it was about 11 years ago that I had this game called Blood Money for my Amiga. Basically an arcade shooter, you and a friend would play in cooperation mode to succeed.

Warlords. This game was great! Strategically moving your armies around a board, beating your fellow player to castles for conquest...

My son and I used to play Blood Money on my Amiga. That was an excellent game with a lot of colors I remember. I miss that one, but my all time favorite, well, it''s gotta be "Leisure Suit Larry." The first two editions. Second choice would be the first two issues of "Monkey Island."

1) Leisure Suit Larry 1 & 2.
2) Monkey Island 1 & 2.

Larry.
Elvis said: You can't rent a Priscilla, but you can lease-a-Marie!
X-COM!!!
Greatest game ever!

It's me again!
Civ1, Larry 1 and Police Quest 1. Endless hours spent there
I don''t know how I could overlook those old Sierra Online games...(maybe because it was early in the morning when I posted). I loved the Space Quest series especially....and Kings Quest was great too...feel free to laugh at my bad memory. In the meanwhile i''ll be reloading SQ1/2 and be playing for a few hours...

This RtS-Babble(no copyright symbol...fraggin mac) has been brought to you by:
-Run_The_Shadows
-Run_the_Shadows@excite.com
Favorite classic game of all time would have to be One Must Fall 2097 or Wacky Wheels. I LOVED those 2 games. Apogee was my idol back then. Thats what I miss about the old days. Where you programmed games from scratch, writing your own graphics routines, your own file formats.

Nowadays you can''t really do that anymore. Everything already has its API and you have to learn it, even if its totally gay. I''ve tried to make a pixel plotting based engine using directx and it was horrendously slow. You had a lot more control when you plotted pixel by pixel then using blits now. At least in my opinion.

- torquel
- torquel
Starflight man! No game today has the guts to give you 200 stars, and 800 planets-- all which you can land on-- __AND__ a save the universe plot that was totally cool.

I have a thought. When I replay old games, it''s not the graphics that get to me, or the sound. It''s the UI.

What if when making a remake, rather than focusing on new technology and 3D (like Hasbro and Frogger / Centipede) we focused on simply making the UI really easy? Or do you think this isn''t enough?

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Serpentine, Ultima 3, and Auto-Duel on the ol' Apple 2.

And for that matter, Bilestoad and Castle Wolfenstein.

Edited by - Buster on October 18, 2000 3:40:07 PM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement