🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

The Good ol' days.

Started by
38 comments, last by Run_The_Shadows 23 years, 8 months ago
There was one door game that was only ran by one bbs in all the bbs''s I''ve ever called. I can''t remember the name of the game. But it was kinda like arrowbridge, with the letters and puncuations for making visual maps only it was in space. It was really cool, you had different races and could explore the galaxy and when you ran into an enemy you could kill it and then transport to its ship. It was really something else, but I forgot the name.

- torquel
- torquel
Advertisement
I used to run a BBS off my dads old 486 (of which he *still* hasn''t upgraded I might add ) and it was fun. Maybe I should set up another one. Maybe over the internet or something . Might be fun to have Lord running again.

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

I''ve considered doing the same thing. But I would want to go out and buy a cheap ass p75 or something and put one up. It would be really neat. Hopefully at some point the entire world will have a huge recession and we''ll all go back to playing nintendo games and bbs''s. In my opinion bbs''s owned over the internet. The internet is ahem.. boring.

- torquel
- torquel
I agree about the internet being boring. Except for this site and the forums. At the moment though, I will have to try looking for the old BBS games. If you want to get your hands on LORD I or II then go to rtsoft.

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Let''s face it.. simple games kick ass. Look at Doom, C&C, etc.

I mean, Baldur''s Gate got REAL boring. 40 hours of gameplay? who the hell plays 40 hours? I''ve got other games I want to play, so i can''t devote ALL my time in a week to one single game, otherwise it gets old. And if I don''t devote all my time, then it''ll take a year to beat it, and who wants to wait that long? That''s why most people chat these big games! When you''re playing solo, you want a game you can beat in 8 hours or so if you know it back and forth!
METROID HAILS AS THE KING OF ALL OLD GAMES!!! And it wasn''t even for the PC! HAHAHA!
Oh, btw.. don''t forget the old SNES games.. Crono Trigger.. etc

bottom line: games are too long, we have too little patience!

J
Niphty,
you have a point, but the other thing about BG is that it's the same crap. Once you realize that the game consists of fighting, and quests it becomes quite boring. Also, the quests consist of go here and do this. When you talk to NPCs, sure you have 4 choices of things to say but only one usually does anything. The NPCs are in the same place every time you play. The game is incredibly scripted,and it was supposed to be very non-linear. All the game is 5 CDs full of the artists showing off their talent.

I didn't finish Daggerfall, but I definitely played it for a very long time...at least compared to most other games.

I guess what I'm saying is that simple games are cool, but BG wasn't boring because it was long. It was boring because it had no depth, or interactivity.

More complex, long games can be entertaining if they're deep, immersive, and interactive.

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator

"All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.

Edited by - Nazrix on October 22, 2000 6:52:26 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Niphty, I agree with you... though I don''t think its really the "length" of the game, it''s the length of time it takes to feel you''ve accomplished anything. Games like Diablo, or Baldur''s Gate, or Ultima8, rarely give you the feeling that you''ve accomplished anything until you have finished the game completely. There''s always the next, harder challenge, and "no rest for the wicked".

Take the simple example of a racing game. You finish a single race, and you can turn it off, thinking "hey, I won that one." You can choose a league option, and you may be playing for an hour or so, but then you say "Hey, I''m champion! Now it''s time for lunch."

Now, you''ve played Diablo for 5 hours and think "Damn, I have to get up in 3 hours and I haven''t gained a level yet...."

I know I''m overgeneralizing, but I hope you see what I mean.
I''d like to see short "quests", and resting in the tavern thinking "Hell, nothing serious will happen for the rest of the night."
I want to be able to say "hey, that was a good game of Baldur''s Gate! I might play it again tomorrow!".

I''m not sure how I''d go about it. Perhaps no quests that take longer than an hour to resolve. Perhaps a slow meandering main story that doesn''t necessarily require your constant attention.

Perhaps it should be multiplayer, something like "computer assisted pen and paper role playing". I know that some games that are coming out will support this feature, though I can''t remember which games these were. Then you could play on the ''net for a few minutes/hours, and then tell everyone "hey, I need to go have lunch, lets wrap this up and have another game tomorrow."

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.
LOL! MKV, you are overgeneralising. I played for well over 12 hours on Diablo II and my sentence was more like "Damn, I have been playing for 12 hours straight, I need to go to bed in the next 5 minutes or else I have no hope of waking up in 1 hours time for that exam"... That was a month that I was not so prominent on GDNet. Remember?

Anyway... It was a cool game, as was Diablo Before it, though far too repetitive.

Good point, Naz and Keith.
I suppose BG really wasn''t deep enough. Icewind Dale has kept me going thus far. However, i just hit a point where i couldn''t figure out what the heck to do next! I finally downloaded the game guide, and it told me.. and acted like my problem was rather.. dumb. To me, it didn''t give enough info regarding what i should do next.

I agree with Naz on the point about having a few options to choose from, though one seems completely obivous. There''s the "i''ll go along my way now" answer. The "right" answer" and a few "wrong" answers to the effect of "throw down your gloves, let''s fight" or "you evil man, i shall rid this plane of your existance and let the demons of the 9 hells deal with your insolence!". I tend to choose the later if i really wanna find out what the person has as far as items.
Speakign of which.. i love how you can only pick up SOME items. What about the large club-things the ettins use in icewind dale? I want one! nope.. can''t do it. Or how about the completely unrealistic ammount a backpack can hold? Oh, and no matter what size object, they only take up one slot! Drakken handles this much better by allowing you a certain ammount of room in which to arrange your items.

Keith.. you realize you said that the length doesn''t matter, but you know it does By saying you''re able to play just "one" quest and feel good about what''s happened.. or just doing one race and leaving it at that.. well One race is the whole season on the line.. the final race of the season, even If you''ve never played Yserbius, let me know. I''ll upload you a copy of it. Sierra isn''t concerned with it anymore.. since it''s way long past gone from print and the network which used to support the multiplayer is long since dead. It''s an AWESOME example of the kind of game i''d like to make. You can do one quest, or the whole friggin shabang, doesn''t matter. You die, you don''t lose anything.. you just restart outside. It''s a dungeon crawl that doesn''t involve a lot of reality in terms of death and dying. And in a single player game or a multiplayer game of limited numbers.. that''s a good thing to me. MMORPGs might be different.. but that''s a whole ''nuther can of worms.

Glad to see i''m not alone in this Perhaps more time should go to the game development and not the artwork, eh?

J
quote: Original post by Niphty
Glad to see i''m not alone in this Perhaps more time should go to the game development and not the artwork, eh?

J

Yeah, but no one will really care about it because I''m sure BG made a ton of money and so will BG II. They don''t care if the game is shallow as long as it sells. The only developers who seem to care were Looking Glass. Also Bethesda have a lot of integrity IMO. They actually read the boards for ideas for their new Elder Scrolls game Morrowind. They actually care about depth and interactivity.

"All you tough and all you see is all your life will ever be --Pink Floyd

"Though the course may change someimes the rivers always reach the sea" --Led Zeppelin

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement