🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

preaching

Started by
0 comments, last by EdR 19 years, 6 months ago
I have a question. What games have you played that you felt, preached to you? Or, lacked subtlety in its messages. Did you dislike or enjoy the game for it? How did it cross the line, or not cross the line? On a similar note, what games have you played where, you knew it was trying to get a point across, and it succeeded admirably? How did it do that?
Advertisement
I think Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri did this, to an extent. There are really bad consequences for screwing around with the environment, and really good rewards for being nice and happy with the environment.

I actually liked it, though I'm not big on the eco-hippie ideals. :D It was done tastefully and well, and it made sense given the game's logic--"hit the planet and it hits back."

I also thought Metal Gear Solid and MGS2 did it (I'm thinking in the ending sequences of both games). I agree with the message--our first duty is to pass on what we are and what we've done to our children--but it's done in such a direct, ham-handed way that I fervently wish for a "skip" button every time I see it.
http://edropple.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement