🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

REALLY IMPORTANT

Started by
8 comments, last by Some_guy_with_code 23 years, 8 months ago
THEY ARE THE DEVIL. Recently, I have been trying out incredibly stupid games. These include "Half-Life" and "Rainbow Six" and "Unreal Tournament". All these games are lacking several big elements. These elements are hydrogen, beryllium, cesium, and my favorite element, Yttrium. The EXPLOSIONS suck. They suck so bad that my mom thought they looked like large flowers blooming very fast and then dying very fast. In fact, I though they were similar to Pong''s graphics. But, this is not my main point. The main element they lack is game-ness. All these moronic games have no point, no good graphics, no good multiplay, no good storyline, no good music, no good sound effects, and ultimately, NO GOOD SECURITY CODING. I hear that all these games were hacked into almost 5 minutes after game release and that they came shipped in cardboard boxes with plastic "jewelcases". Frankly, these "jewelcases" aren''t nearly shiny enough to be jewels, and plastic is a really stupid thing to make CD cases out of (they break!). They should try covering them with more of their stupid cardboard. Anyway, back to the game-ness elements. For example, Half-Life has no storyline. Some guy gets shot, others die, and ultimately, some idiot gets warped to some alien planet with unrealistic monstrous crowbars (and aliens). This idiot is considered a hero but all he does is jump over boxes, look pretty, and impersonate Einstein in totally incorrect ways (e does not equal two gunshots squared plus a dead alien). Regarding sound effects, their gunshots suck like crap. Real gunshots are much louder and real explosions actually KILL people! They don''t subtract from a numeric "health"!!!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!! If I am going crazy don''t doubt it for a second. By the way, Unreal Tournament is as stupidly simple as PONG. PLEASE READ THIS A SECOND TIME
PLEASE READ THIS A SECOND TIME
Advertisement
mmmm, too much TV make someguy_with_code go something something...
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I am unsure as to whether or not you are a complete moron... or simply messing with people. So I will respond to your post with the previous assumption being made.

"Recently, I have been trying out incredibly stupid games. These include "Half-Life" and "Rainbow Six" and "Unreal Tournament". All these games are lacking several big elements."

I have played Half-life, and while it may lack some pretty explosions, it was based on the Quake II engine and has extremely nice graphics when compared to other games based on that engine AT THE TIME HALF-LIFE CAME OUT. In case you do not know... Half-life has been out a LONG time.

"But, this is not my main point. The main element they lack is game-ness. All these moronic games have no point, no good graphics, no good multiplay, no good storyline, no good music, no good sound effects, and ultimately, NO GOOD SECURITY CODING. I hear that all these games were hacked into almost 5 minutes after game release and that they came shipped in cardboard boxes with plastic "jewelcases". Frankly, these "jewelcases" aren''t nearly shiny enough to be jewels, and plastic is a really stupid thing to make CD cases out of (they break!). They should try covering them with more of their stupid cardboard."

Ok... your main point is they lack game-ness? Nice made-up word. If you mean they lack playability and fun, you are incorrect. The fact that add-ons such as Team Fortress Classic and Counterstrike(more on this later) have come out, show just how popular and fun half-life is... ever try one of these add ons? Ever take a look at how many people are playing these at any given time?

As to your security issues, it is very complicated to secure gameplay code. When you are dealing with information that is stored on a customers machine, it is invariable loaded into memory and that information can be changed. Period. The only way online games can get around this is to store the information on their server... and requires an increased overhead, which means SLOWER response times. TFC was secure until they decided to try and improve internet latency and they promptyly removed it... this is the only point that I think has any merit in your post.

Give me a break... jewel cases are cheap and keep your CD from being scratched. Put then in cardboard sleeves, and they rub against the cardboard. You break a jewel case? Poor baby, go buy a few empty cases. Better yet, invent a better solution, and get rich.

"Anyway, back to the game-ness elements. For example, Half-Life has no storyline. Some guy gets shot, others die, and ultimately, some idiot gets warped to some alien planet with unrealistic monstrous crowbars (and aliens). This idiot is considered a hero but all he does is jump over boxes, look pretty, and impersonate Einstein in totally incorrect ways (e does not equal two gunshots squared plus a dead alien). Regarding sound effects, their gunshots suck like crap. Real gunshots are much louder and real explosions actually KILL people! They don''t subtract from a numeric "health"!!!!!! DO YOU UNDERSTAND!!! If I am going crazy don''t doubt it for a second."

No storyline in Half-life? Well that is a matter of opinion, and you are entitled to yours. Personally I put more value in gameplay then storyline... either way, it is your opinion. For a shitty storyline, they must have done something right... the game sold millions of copies.

YES I UNDERSTAND, you want realism, play counterstrike add on to halflife. It allows you to die from one shot, to the head. Enjoy the realism, enjoy the fact that you can die OVER and OVER while someone with better reflexes makes your life hell. As for the sinlge player game, how fun would it be to load a save game every two seconds because someone shot you? You talk about game-ness, which I am interpreting to be playability and fun, and I doubt they would sell more then a few hundred thousand copies if the single player game used the rules that the Counterstrike add on uses.

Any other stupid questions you need answered? I would sure hate to hear what you have to say about a game that really stinks...

Guys... he''s joking. Dont bother responding to this.

---------------
Ratfest.org
quote: Original post by ahw

mmmm, too much TV make someguy_with_code go something something...

...Go..crazy..?
Nothing is difficult, only the mind makes it so.
Yeah, it was that whole bit about jewel cases and cardboard that eliminated the last flicker of thought that this might actually be someone''s legitimate opinion. It''s probably one of the regulars here who wants to see how people will react to this.

-Ironblayde
 Aeon Software

The following sentence is true.
The preceding sentence is false.
"Your superior intellect is no match for our puny weapons!"
Who needs graphics? Thats all I can say... I couldn''t care less about graphics, as long as the gameplay was good and it was involving... Nuff said

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

But i agree with what he said about jewel cases strangely enough. They do suck, that''s why they are sold separately. They are nothing but cheap peices of crap. As for the rest of what he said, whatever *shrug*, as if its going to make a difference to my enjoyment of these games so who cares even if he was serious. Bah!

"So you're the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"
Crankdude : "DONT MIND IF I DO !!!!"

too much Simpsons make AHW go crazy
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
No TV and No Beer makes me close this thread.
Bye bye now

People might not remember what you said, or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel.
~ (V)^|) |<é!t|-| ~
It's only funny 'till someone gets hurt.And then it's just hilarious.Unless it's you.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement