🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

working on game design and art

Started by
4 comments, last by OoMMMoO 23 years, 8 months ago
Im an artist and programmer working with Run_the_shadows on a 2d sidescroller game and Im not to sure where to start on the game design. Should I work on the character and her animations, or the backgrounds and everything the player will come across and when? Can someone give me an idea?
Advertisement
Start with what you are trying to acheive in your game and then get more detailed. Make sure that you point out the story the gameplay/design and the Interface. Is this what you are after?

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Kind of, Ive really got the story down and the mood of the game, Ive even got a caracter sketch of the main character Im just having trouble of where to start with the design of the levels and the character animation. Which should I work on first Im not sure. Should I draw the levels and plan everything out first and how it will run or should I start drawing multiple views of the character?

Brendon Glanzer
EchoSteel
If you choose The Levels first - Make sure that the levels merge into each other. There needs to be a continuity in the map. Make sure that the character animations agree with the levels such that he/she is of proportional height etc.

If you choose The Character first - Make sure that the character looks as though it matches its personality. Make sure that they do not wear clashing clothes etc. Design the level around the character so that it is consistent and blends as well as does not disguise the character.

I think that is the best I can give you. It really depends on how you want to do it as to how you actually do it.

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Thanks alot for the help I have a good idea of were to start

Brendon Glanzer

EchoSteel©
do the programming first if possible. You can play a game with placeholder art but you can''t play a game with a placeholder engine. Most projects never get completed so I think it is better to do the programming first.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement