🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

New ideas regarding RPG's

Started by
20 comments, last by THEUser 23 years, 8 months ago
RPG''s are loosely translated into my language as: really pestilent garbage. RPG''s have many problems (like Ralph Nader''s campaign). They suck, they suck, they suck. Here''s why. There''s a saying: "If a fruit explodes, somebody threw it." Although this has absolutely nothing to do w/ RPG''s, it relates: I am that somebody, and RPG''s are that fruit. Oh yeah, I should give reasons. First of all, they are boring. They don''t have purposes: all you do is collect "gems" or "bottles" or "can of beer". (Well, maybe not really) Where''s the driving force? Where''s the element of THINKING? Where''s the action? Where the strategic element? Many times I have played stupid RPG''s. Here''s the order of a battle: 1) Select a stupid weapon 2) Select a stupid attack sequence 3) Watch the enemy "boss''s" stupid HP <- ??? go down. By the way, HP!!!! Why in the world are people''s healths being represented by the numerals of pi! It should be much different. My life isn''t dictated by a number! Oh yeah, RPG''s are (in my onion/opinion) just made up of a storyline and "intense" 3D graphics. No fun whatsoever. Especially those stupid online ones where you have to play money each month to play!!! How ridiculous. That''s all I have to say. Please respond with your own onions/opinions. That is my onion.
That is my onion.
Advertisement
Criticisms, but no suggestions? Hmmm.....

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Hmm, let''s see...everyone better ignore this post, as its likely rude and pointless.

Some people, obviously not you, find rpgs fun to play.
They are just games, no one is forcing you to play them. If they are the just tell them to stop doing that.
I''m not saying that your complaints didn''t make rpgs better somehow, but it''s not likely that they did.
As for HP, lets say I hit you....(that might be fun...anyway back to our topic) then lets say I hit you 3 more times, and you died. I might then be inclined to say you had an HP of 4. And people would say to me "hey, wow! since he has 4 HP all I had to do was hit him for four times?" but then I would cleverly respond "No, in fact I bet if you hit him about 4 times harder than I do, then he might have died in one shot!"

Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heritic.
It just means he was a heritic who was right.
Just because the church was wrong doesn't mean Galileo wasn't a heretic.It just means he was a heretic who was right.
Actually … action and strategic elements are nice, and there are often traces of such in most RPG’s but its however –not- the driving force of why people enjoy them. The way I see it what gets people hooked are the story and the characters, just take the Final Fantasy series for example, iv played each and every one of those translated into English and I love ‘em all. Yes, I admit they are pretty liner but there’s just something about them that gets you coming back for more. … I guess its all different from person to person, I for example I never really enjoyed first person shooters … I don’t know, I just don’t find them fun. You might, but don’t enjoy RPG’s, so its just different tastes of what makes a fun game.
--------------------Moo, that’s right, moo!
I would agree that lately RPGs are pretty pathetic. The reason is that developers want to show off what they can make the computer do rather than focusing on good gameplay. As a game developer, I am trying to change that. Tile-based Final Fantasy style RPGs are still my favorite form of games.
the
FF series should never have been called an RPG
GRRRRRR!
"do you like my helmut?"-yoghurt
Only the ignorant would ignore this post, if you havent noticed here is a person who is telling you what is wrong with RPG''s these days and why they are boring. He''s trying to tell you what is wrong with them. If you are making an rpg you might want to take his complaints into consideration. I like the ideas of hp not being displayed in numbers which is really good, but would be inacurate, for instance your character looks beat up and your not sure if you should heal or attack because your not to sure how close to death he is.

Wha--? Final Fantasy is the very perfection of the word RPG in my point of view. But then again its also vastly different from the more traditional computer RPG’s, so if your into those I guess FF is more adventure games ... but for me, its FF all the way.
--------------------Moo, that’s right, moo!
Why complain? Change it.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
FF series ARE RPGs. Just not the way they are played in western culture, that''s all. Actually, if you play any manga based game (most of them being erotic), you''d see lot more dialog and intrigue than in most western RPGs I know. OK, the level is maybe not the same because probably of the erotic purposes, but it''s definitely better than most computer RPGs I have seen in years. Yes, there are exceptions (namely, Ultima series).

THEUser : mmmmm, this smells like flamebait, this looks like flamebait ...

OoMMMoO : yes, he''s probably having one or two points. It''s just there are ways to say things, that even a limited grammar like english has would allow, you know
It''s all nice and well to criticize, but one or two ideas for each complaints is always taken much better than a "because they suck". Of course, B.Gates sucks penguins, and Linus torvald is probably gay, but that''s a totally different matter altogether. How do I know ? Well, I just know...

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement