🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Health and Medical Kits

Started by
6 comments, last by Lynck 23 years, 8 months ago
Over the passed years, some people want the most realistic games ever, but then put Medical Kits in games that you just run over them and you''re healed. How bout a new approach to this? You find a medical kit, and get shot in the arm. You find a safe place, and put anticeptic on your wound and wrap something around your wound to keep more blood from being lost. Then, after you find a doctor, they can get the bullet out or something. I donno, what do you think? So far, I haven''t found a game that has done this. Feel free to use the idea.
Advertisement
wrapping bandages around your arms in-game... yeah. that sounds like fun.
Anyone played Alien vs Predator ? As the Predator you had the choice to use your MASSIVE seringe in order to fix yourself ...jsut like in the movie. That wasn''t very complicated, but mucho cooler than running on a health pack.

there was a MOD for Quake2, I think it was called Brazen head, or just Brazen, Brazen head is the name of a pub, ah yeah
But anyway, it was the first realistic MOD I ever played, and believe it was a total change. A grenade launched nearby ... woow, and the whole screen start spinning. You jump from the thrid floor ? Poor you, two broken legs. You get shot ? I hope you got bandages to stop the bleeding. And so on and so forth. I would love to see this in a multiplayer game, because I enjoyed playing Medic greatly, but there wasn''t much variety in the task. Now with a bit more variety (note, I don''t use the word Realism ... Medical realism is NOT something you want ...trust me) in the health system, there would be some very interesting opportunities for slightly less "brawns" roles. Nurses running on the battlefield ? Anyone ?

-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
Man, ahw, would you stop saying stuff I totally agree with!!! Jeeez! I''m tryin'' ta'' be different here!!!!

The syringe was just too cool in AvP (along with the attendant Predator howl!! )

I think whatever you do, you need to consider your audience and and the UI. If the audience is in to realistic combat (I am) and the UI makes it easy to use (no Tresspasser style Arm Simulator ''98 pulllease!!!!) then I think this is a great idea.

Oh yeah, and your focus would probably have to shift a bit or you''ll get repeat / die gameplay. I think the reason you run over health packs in most FPS games is because waves of enemies rush you and you''re supposed to mow them down. I''d love to see a game with the mechanic you describe, but with fewer, smarter (Half-Life soldier style) enemies... otherwise it would become repititious and tedious.

So as long as you have good tactical options and realistic damage (headshots / heartshots == instant death) I think this would work.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Speaking of called shots, Half-life was a real kick in the nuts in that respect. The engine supported hit-boxes, and it could register getting hit virtually anywhere on your body, but the designers did nothing with this feature.

Unreal Tournament was a bit more impressive in that respect. You could get armor for your legs and body, and it would deteriorate depending on where you got hit. But still, they didn''t have locational injuries or anything cool like that.

I agree with Wavinator: it''s time for someone to start using the features you add to your engines. I never liked Quake 2, but I LOVE Unreal Tournament. The best "real world" add-on I''ve seen for it is Infiltration.

Okay, that''s your cue to check out

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

I''ll spare you The Great Item Rant, and just say that I really hate Potions and Healing magic, as well as pocket dimension sized character inventories.

These all seem to be caused by the same problem you''re on about... how to heal within violent games. If you can find any sort of solution, I''d be really amazed, and grateful.
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
How about during your character''s idle moment (he''s not actively engaged in something critical), he automatically executes medical attention with whatever he has on hand.

If you wish this to be something the player is supposed to figure out, how about once the player does figure it out and do it once, the character will automatically tend his wounds thereafter.

quote: Original post by bishop_pass

How about during your character''s idle moment (he''s not actively engaged in something critical), he automatically executes medical attention with whatever he has on hand.

If you wish this to be something the player is supposed to figure out, how about once the player does figure it out and do it once, the character will automatically tend his wounds thereafter.

Oo? I like that. (Notes it in his little notepad...)
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement