🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Estimation of completion times

Started by
3 comments, last by gatekeeper 23 years, 8 months ago
Greetings. I recently purchased Windows Game Programming for Dummies and want to get started in game development. I plan to purchase more books as my skills grow but for now I want to write a small game. I am writing a design document now and I know it should have project milestones. Is there any way to judge this accurately? Since I am a newbie, I have almost no idea of what I am doing. I have tried the projects on the CD and got them all to work, but it is taking a long time for me to learn what this game needs to function. I want to make a 2d top-down view game similar to the old SNES Zelda games. It will be much smaller though. I have documented the storyline (even though it sucks), menu system, gameplay, and rules. I have had no trouble with the conceptual side of it but I''m not sure if my programming skills are good enough to do it. I plan to use the modified "WGPDUMB" engine since this is my first attempt at a game. What kind of documentation should the programming have and where are there some more good resources for newbies?
Advertisement
Fortunatly there are some programmers in the Game Design Corner. Unfortunately i''m not one of them so you''ll have to wait until one of them bother to answer you. BUT, but you may have better luck in one of the programming forums with this request.

"So you're the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"
Two plusses - 1: This forum does have some programmers, 2: I am one of them

Basically, it is very difficult to judge how long it will take an entire project without knowing your capabilities. It is much easier to judge how long it will take you to complete to your next milestone. Just break down your program into small functions and give yourself a day (or less) to finish each function to working order. This way you will move along trying to reach your next milestone rather than trying to reach the completioin of your entire project.

Good luck

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

Thanks, so far I have finished the design document and implemented my game loop. I hope to actually be good at this someday.
LOL! Don''t we all? Even the professionals do

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement