🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

game immersion

Started by
8 comments, last by MSW 23 years, 8 months ago
The argument of realisam = immersion in games is pure stupidity...In order to immerse a player in a game you only have to connect with thier imagination...nothing more or less is required...the problem is that some people have little imagination or they bury it away as they grow older...it is just as bad to leave to much up to the players imagination [the player controls a white colored pixel on a blank scren, and is told that he is king Arthur] but it can be just as bad to not allow the imagination to work for the player [even if the voice actor is really good...what happens if the player doesn''t think the voice sounds quite right for the part?...hint: this means the player is thinking of details outside the current game situation, so he/she isn''t being immersed]...All in all I belive the people who think "more realisam = more immersion" should go into marketing rather than game design...
Advertisement
I am with you on this one. Immersion may need to have realism. If you really need a voice for your character, claim that the player is the spirit that has possessed the body of a champion warrior. Then there is a reason why the warrior sounds different.

Immersion comes down to the connection of mind and game. I am always immersed in books, and I really like that (my g/f doesn''t... She thinks my brain permanently abides in the fantasy world of Midkemia... Anyway). I think what you need for immersion, rather than realism, is attachment. The player must feel an attachment to the game that makes them want to live in the game world with the characters. This is an interpersonal connection that can be created by strong characterisation and emotion. I think that characterisation and emotion go hand in hand and are both key elements for immersability. There may be more, but this is just a start

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

I think D&D is incredibly immersive, even if it is only dice and paper.

The thought behind the game is more important, in my opinion. If the ideas behind the game - the rules and story - make sense, the graphics is mere icing...

take tetris for instance. take chess....
Realism does not equal immersion, no. Realism in the confines of the game itself does. Consistance is the key. The basic objects need to act the same throughout the game.

One more specific, powerful tool for immersion is having the game use as many of the player''s real senses to react to the environment. Like in Thief, you really had to listen for things happening in the game. You had to look at the guards'' postures to see if they noticed you or not. It connected your eyes and ears to the things happening in the game.

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator

"All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
I agree... Realism is just something to confine the game so that it is consistent. Consistency is what really gets the game immersive as well as other elements. If you can get the player to disregard time then the player is immersed. If they are looking for every single detail within the game then they are immersed. I believe also that with attachment to characters in the game, the player becomes immersed and also is drawn back to the game. Two positive qualities

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

the two main things that immerse a player: sound and pacing. Sound is obvious, I think most people realize that sound is more important than graphics when it comes to immesiveness. Pacing is a bit more abstract. Any time the player has to wait more than he would prefer he starts wishing the game would hurry up and get on with it. The other extreme is a game that goes too fast, if the player can''t keep up his mind and the game desynch and it''s over.
Zenic, I hate to argue, but D&D is NOT generally immersive. It is a gaming system based AROUND combat and /*blatant plug*/ Goblin Genocide /*end plugging*/ I find that White Wolf''s World of Darkness games(namely Vampire and Mage) are MUCH more immersive due to the fact that they focus on Roleplaying and not fighting.
I don''t think that is totally correct. The amount of role-playing in D&D is determined almost completely by the DM (or GM). When I played D&D for that one summer that I played, the DM encouraged us to role-play our way out of things rather than fight. D&D was loose enough to allow for this. It''s just up to a DM to take use of it.

""You see... I'm not crazy... you see?!? Nazrix believes me!" --Wavinator

"All you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be." -Pink Floyd

Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself.
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Well... you can use D&D rules as you wish, but D&D is a wargame at small scale, ask its creator, and you''ll see that it was just that.
Rules have been changed, but D&D (and AD&D 2nd) is still a murder base system, so to me, a wargame.

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
All this may be true, but I am loath to call any murder-based game an RPG. In which case, I clearly violate everyones laws by saying that D&D (in the pure rules format) is NOT an RPG. This is why I say that we need attributes rather than Genres. If the RPG genre was arrayed around D&D then everyone would be rattled if my assumptions are true.

Let the flaming begin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement