🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

PhysicsTris

Started by
4 comments, last by Knarkles 23 years, 8 months ago
Since every self-respecting programmer has to make a Tetris or Breakout clone, or preferably both, I thought about doing it differently. I''m making a 3D engine with realistic physics for our space strategy game''s tactical combat module, so I thought I might use it for smaller projects also. Everyone has seen the type of Tetris "clone" where you have different colored blocks that are eliminated if there are eg. three of the same color next to each other. I would make a similar game, only in 3D and with realistic physics, with the pieces being formed of three balls connected with springs. The basic controls would be similar, but the gameplay would be radically different, because the balls are never still. There could also be "bombs" which would throw balls around and other special pieces to keep interest up, and possibly head-to-head play. Any comments and suggestions are welcome. -Jussi "I got electric light, And I got second sight. Got amazing powers of observation." - Pink Floyd
Advertisement
I like it, I like it a lot....
Though I wouldn't call it "PhysicsTris", 'cause "tris" might be too much like "Tetris", and then Hasbro might get a bit displeased...

Just a question:
If the balls are never still, under what condition would they disappear? Would they just bounce in one direction (i.e. up and down, leaving the balls at different heights at different times )? I could see a lot of possible variations in gameplay here.

Edited by - MadKeithV on October 23, 2000 8:48:40 AM
Sounds cool, but if the balls are never still, and you are using realistic physics, then would they be flying around every where all the time? Also, if all the balls never stop moving, and each ball has a certain amount of energy because of it''s movement, and you keep throwing more balls in, then the total energy of balls on the screen will increase, and this could result in a mess of balls bouncing around the screen in a total unpredictable franatic pattern. One thing about puzzle games is that the player should be able to anticipate what will happen because of his or her actions. So, if you don''t want this to happen, you would have to not use realistic physics. Besides, with a puzzle game you need pieces to line up in a certain way to clear them, and realistic physics are not very conducive to making stuff stay still.

You mentioned something about balls connected by springs. Would the center of the spring be stationary, and then the spring flexes so that the balls move in relation to the center of the spring? Or would the spring just flex and you would try to figure out what that would do?

What if it was like a game of pool and you could move the balls around by throwing more balls in? Then, by making different sized and massed balls you could have a veriance in the effect the balls have on each other. Now, make the friction coefficient significantly large so that the balls don''t go flying in all directions all the time.

I think that''s the key, you will need to incorporate friction. In a puzzle game the pieces need to consolidate for a moment so that they can match up and clear off. Think of the name, PUZZLE game. If you were trying to put together a jigsaw puzzle and all the pieces were constantly moving you would never get it done.

Are you even trying to be intelligent?
'cuz if you are, it ain't workin'

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

If you need an idea for simple game with cool physics, make a game like The Incredible Machine. It was really cool but it had quite poor physics model.. Make it real with rolling balls and bouncing cubes and springy ropes ..

BTW, where have you learnt to do physics? Give some URLs/books.

** say NO to yet another tetris/breakout **

-Hans [home page] [e-mail]
quote: Original post by capn_midnight

Sounds cool, but if the balls are never still, and you are using realistic physics, then would they be flying around every where all the time? Also, if all the balls never stop moving, and each ball has a certain amount of energy because of it''s movement, and you keep throwing more balls in, then the total energy of balls on the screen will increase, and this could result in a mess of balls bouncing around the screen in a total unpredictable franatic pattern.

I''m sorry to disappoint you, but I have already thought about this. Energy will not grow all the time, because energy is lost to both friction and collisions.

quote: Besides, with a puzzle game you need pieces to line up in a certain way to clear them, and realistic physics are not very conducive to making stuff stay still.

I thought that the pieces could be eliminated when three of them are touching each other, ie. close enough.

[uote]You mentioned something about balls connected by springs. Would the center of the spring be stationary, and then the spring flexes so that the balls move in relation to the center of the spring? Or would the spring just flex and you would try to figure out what that would do?

I would connect each ball to each other by three springs, so that they couldn''t move very much relative to each other, and the piece (of three balls) would more or less retain its shape.

quote: What if it was like a game of pool and you could move the balls around by throwing more balls in? Then, by making different sized and massed balls you could have a veriance in the effect the balls have on each other. Now, make the friction coefficient significantly large so that the balls don''t go flying in all directions all the time.

Nah, I was thinking of more like traditional Tetris-like controls, with low enough gravity (of course variable with difficulty level) to keep the game from turning into chaos. The play area would be a box, or maybe there could be several types of playing fields, eg. sphere and cylinder.

Perhaps there could be different types of balls, eg:

• Bomb: explodes on contact, shatters other balls and throws them around
  • Glass ball: shatters easily
  • Marble: low friction, doesn''t bounce very much
  • Rubber ball: bounces around a lot
  • Slime ball: very high friction, doesn''t bounce

-Jussi

(quote space for sale (for free))
quote: Original post by Hans

BTW, where have you learnt to do physics? Give some URLs/books.

http://www.d6.com/users/checker/dynamics.htm

quote: ** say NO to yet another tetris/breakout **

No, I MUST make a Tetris clone.

-Jussi

(quote space for sale (for free))

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement