🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Hack 'n' Slash only medieval?

Started by
15 comments, last by MrSandman666 23 years, 8 months ago
Why don''t I see any Cyberpunk Hack ''n'' Slay games like Diablo out there? Aren''t there any or is it just me? Seriously now: Do you think the cyberpunk genre could be used to create a Hack ''n'' Slay, which is really fun to play? The major differences between the cyberpunk genre and medieval settings are basically: - mainly long range fighting in cyberpunk, mainly close quarter combat in medieval - Dungeon Crawling in medieval and... yeah, what would you do in cyberpunk? Break into Corp buildings? Digging through the sewers? - cyberpunk kinda erquires a story whereas in medieval times the player can just be an adventurer who enjoys slaying monsters and collecting treasures. Do you see any other differences? Do you think a cyberpunk hack ''n'' slay would be fun? "Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
-----------------------------"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
Advertisement
I think a H&S cyberpunk game would work, but we need a game or two to show that it can be done. But I''m wondering, though, how you''d fit cyberspace into it? You could implement it as nothing more than a lock picking skill (open doors, security crates) but this would miss some of the "cyber" feel.

I don''t think story is exactly required. It all depends on your setting. If you cover the "why" you''re there, then that''s about all you need.

As far as setting, sky''s practically the limit: Abandoned space station, Island of Doctor Moreau type overrun by biological nightmares, the floors of a 40 mile high skyscrapper controlled by a rogue AI, collapsing underwater city... when you move into the future, ya'' got lots of room!

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Yeah, well cyberspace is one of the critical points. I''m not shure yet how to implement it or wether to implement it at all.
But as I''m thinking about it... You''re right. It would basically be trying to lock-pick your way through the computer and when you encounter a hostile program, fight it as if it was a monster but the basic goal would still be to stay undiscoverd which isn''t at all like hack''n''Slay.

As far as the setting goes, I thought of just placing the player in a city, which consits of several locations to which the player can travel. I already have a (very basic) storyline but probably not enough time to implement it. So I thought of a completely randomly generated game. Have a set of random locations, which connect in a predefined pattern.
The problem is, that it would be hard to get a storyline into this. Although I have to say that it is possible.
Whereas in fantasy, you could really just throw together some random locations without any connecting story. That would be much less time consuming.

Hmmm... I gotta think about this a little more.
Still, any comments on this are more than welcome!

"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
Remember how Diablo I did it? Why not just have a bar or someplace that the player could go to get jobs from people (such as "Get this for me.", "Kill this for me.", "Infiltrate this , you can weave a story into this and maybe incorperate these early missions to . I really like the idea of randomized play... just make sure the plot is pretty broad and so it will work out.

-Nate
Crap... the above post looks like... crap... because I put several variable things inside of brackets... DOH! Anyway, here''s how it shoulda looked:

Remember how Diablo I did it? Why not just have a bar or someplace that the player could go to get jobs from people (such as "Get this [high tech item, information, person] for me.", "Kill this [CEO, scientist, rival gang leader] for me.", "Infiltrate this [warehouse, corperate building, computer system] , you can weave a story into this and maybe incorperate these early missions to . I really like the idea of randomized play... just make sure the plot is pretty broad and so it will work out.

-Nate
BTW, have you ever played the old Crusader: No Remorse games? Not cyberpunk per se, but definitely high tech H&S. It handled high tech combat w/ ranged weapons nicely, and added in high tech traps, manuevering, and lots of environmental puzzles. Definitely worth a look if you can scare up an old copy.
Yeah, I''ll probably have a set list of locations, which will be expanding throughout the story.
Example:
You start with the bar as the only location in the list.
There, you here about a black market weapon dealer. This adds the dealer to your location list.
Talking to one other guy in the bar, you get the "mission" to get into the CyberTech Inc. HQ and steal the blueprints of this new cyber implant. This adds the CyberTech In. HQ to your location list and generates a random map for it.
This pattern can continue for quite a time. I just have to come up with enough "quests".

And, no I haven''t played Crusader yet. I have seen someone playing it for about ten minutes about 4 or 5 years ago. So I don''t remember much of it. But wasn''t Crusader turnbased? Well, I don''t know. As I said, I don''t remember much.
And how did they handle it? I don''t think that I can get my hands on a copy of it soon, so it woul dbe great if you could explain their system to me.
I''m PLANNING to make my game realtime. I don''t know wether I can make it. But if I can, I would like to implement mouse functionality, too, so I could just click on an enemy or in the direction of it and do my dice rolling to see wether the player actually hit the enemy. Just an idea though.

"Mr Sandman bring me a dream"
Re: Crusader

It was an iso RT game where you had a single character. Though it was mission based you worked your way through factories and power plants and such. You could aim via the keyboard or mouse 360'' and you had different types of weapons and devices (walking spider grenades were really cool!).

Basically, you had to fight guards and robots, get through security traps (find the keycard, enter security codes, etc) and accomplish specific objectives. There were also some jumping puzzles, and you could sidestep, crouch, roll, etc. It was billed as an isometric Doom at the time.

--------------------
How about this: Blizzard does a diablo-like game in the Startcraft universe?
quote: Original post by Anonymous Poster

How about this: Blizzard does a diablo-like game in the Startcraft universe?

Drool....

Some of the missions were almost like that. Dangit, if only the Ghost could carry inventory!!!!!

--------------------

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement