🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Game Design Question

Started by
2 comments, last by tritan360 23 years, 8 months ago
O.K. This is the my question my company "Night Light Entertainment"...we have been writing a game for the past 4 years...when I mean writing I mean we have the whole game written out word for word 200 something pages a title and even the dialog for it too. We have lots of artwork for visiual display...so we have everything even step by step how every cut away movie is to be frame by frame (it''s detailed big time) so my question is we got all this together I''ve showed it to a company "Ascension Entertainment" of LA and they like it too. So they want me to get a developement team together so I could get a grant to make the game...so my thing is that I have know Idea what to do or how to got about doing anything like this (we are new to the market and this is our first) so...or should I try to sale the game story? Please Help Thanks, Jared T. CEO Night Light Entertainment tritan360@aol.com
Tritan360
Advertisement
i''ll help you program for some of that grant money but to answer your question, i actually have no idea since i''ve never worked for a game company much less on a team more then 2. sorry

yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift... -TapRoot

AIM screen name: StarCraftIsEvil
The development team will be the people you pay to make the game happen. What you''ve got so far is a "design" team more or less. The developers will make your designs a reality. This means programmers, artists, musicians, etc.. whatever you need to make the game become reality.
That''s pretty cool that they''re giving you control over something like that, actually. Most companies just give the game off to their development sub-company, and they butcher it for you.. hehe
This company is prolly more like a "producer" which means they supply you money, and you do all the work. In short, they''re a capital investor.
What you need to do is go out and find people who can make your game work, give them an idea of the time needed to do the work, and then give them an estimate of cost. This needs to be detailed just like everything else. Sit down and figure out what you''ll need. GUI programmers, Networking programmers (if it''s multiplayer), graphics designers, animators, sound effects, midi musicians, a composer to write the score.. Actors, if nessicary! Voices.. those kinds of things. You need to get a blank page, look through your script start to finish and write down what you''ll need done. Programmers are obivous. Same with artists. It''s a matter of how many you''ll need and of what type. Searching the script will show you if actors/voices are needed, and how many of them. Don''t forget sometimes one person can do two things.. especially if they''re in any kind of heavy makeup or mask
Once that''s done, scedual out how you''d like each section to move. Where should the programmers start? Assign a few to the game engine, a few to the graphics engine, a couple to networking, and maybe a couple to other things as needed. Then set out how the artists will work, and then the music peoples, and then the actors. Set out who''s gonna manage which set of people, and then you''re set.
Talk to them about how long it''ll take to do the tasks you''ve assigned. Make sure a couple people go over and make sure you''ve got EVERYTHING planned out. Then total up the hours needed to do it, and multiply that by how much you''re paying everyone, and then submit it to the company. They''ll say "bah, you don''t NEED three game engine programmers.. axe one." etc You argue your case, back and forth till they say "ok, you get X ammount of dough", then you get to work. You buy lots of caffine, don''t sleep, and then go over budget, and over time, and you get over stressed, and then it''s done

I''m pretty sure that''s what they''re looking for. You''re going to need to do this anyways, and the more detailed and professional it is.. then the more they''ll take you seriously. They prolly took you as serious because of your detail the first time around. btw.. if you need a consultant.. feel free to hire me on or you could pay me the 10 minutes it took to type this.. ehhe! good luck with it though, you''ve got a LOT of work to do feel free to email if you get some other questions and i''ll see what i can do for ya.

J
Thanks J...What''s your e-mail address
Write me at tritan360@aol.com
Tritan360

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement