🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

MMO Story

Started by
2 comments, last by capn_midnight 23 years, 8 months ago
what do you think of a game where the players write the story as they go along? As they go on quests their actions (brave or otherwise) get recorded into a gameworld history book, made into drinking songs, made into campfire stories, whatever. Also, how about after the player goes on his quest and comes back, he tells his story to a "grand storyteller" and then that person disseminates the story, integrates it into the greater story of the game. Basically, the idea is to make the player a part of the game in the same way that the mythical hero of yore is a part of the game. Right now in games the player is more of an outsider looking in through his window called the monitor. What if when the player came to the world, he made an definite impact on the world? A little test to see if players can write the story on their own. write one paragraph (not too long, no more longer than my total post) about a quest you "had" and post them here. Also, make sure it is concistant with the other stories already posted. Tell about the purpose of the quest, where you heard of such an adventure, how many people went with you, what obsticales you came to, you get the point. Just post. Are you even trying to be intelligent? 'cuz if you are, it ain't workin'

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
everyone playing the game is in the story. They write their stories as they play. If you have an interesting game people will record their stories for others to read. Battlereports.com has a whole bunch of games described in detail by the people that played them, mostly Starcraft and a couple other games.
Not just write the stories. That''s kind of static. Rather, the ultimate goal is for the players to define the social structure of the world. The physics are defined by the simulation, the political and economic are defined by the players.

Carve out your niche in the world. Create organizations, secret factions, and so forth. These social organizations have an impact on the world and on other players. Create governing bodies. Stories are at the discretion of players. If one player chooses to start a media company (could be a weekly newspaper distributed via horseback in one setting, or an electronic news agency in another) then other players will buy these news items and stories to find out what''s going on in the world.

Why will one player choose to report? Because they make ''money'' doing it, enabling them to change their position in the game and they also like doing it.

Why will other players buy the news? Because information is important in order to succeed at whatever they may be doing?

Will the news have a spin on it? Maybe. Who knows what the motives of the news agency is. Perhaps they are lobbying other players so they can get ''in'' on some other action. Or maybe they were wronged and now they are blowing the lid on some secret organization.

That''s interesting...(damn, I can''t do that). Any other ideas how the player could get more involved in the actual story of the game? The idea is that the story should become about the players, instead of the story being about fictional characters and the players persuing some kind of adventure based on the.

Also, check out my post of the same name in the writing forum. It''s a sort of test game to see how well different people can integrate their stories.

Are you even trying to be intelligent?
'cuz if you are, it ain't workin'

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement