🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Leveling fun 2nd time around

Started by
1 comment, last by Wavinator 23 years, 8 months ago
It seems the first time you play a level-based game it''s fun, but in many games of this type starting over as a weakling is boring. The same thing that was fun to accomplish once is now no fun. What can be done to fix this? It seems to me that part of the fun of leveling comes from acquiring new gadgets / stuff, exploring new spaces, and maybe fighting tougher and more interesting opponents. Is the problem a symptom of the weakling character not having enough to do? I almost think it''s unavoidable, because part of the motivation is to get stronger BECAUSE you''re so weak. -------------------- Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...
Advertisement
It''s an anticipation thing, pure and simple. You''ve already played the game at a really high level and you know what it''s like, so when you start over you know what to expect and get impatient waiting for your character to get more powerful.

Are you even trying to be intelligent?
'cuz if you are, it ain't workin'

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

That is where non-linearity comes in handy. A divergent story would keep the player interested while they are still trying to maxx out... Which is not a good thing necessarily, but it suffices

-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft - Site:"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy" - IOL
The future of RPGs - Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement