🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Good books for game Networking

Started by
0 comments, last by forxl 23 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I''m planning on developing a small top down action/adverture game for Windows98/DirectX and I want to incorporate a multiplayer aspect. I know a bit about TCP/IP already but I was wondering if there are any good books describing methods of implementing network play for games? Most of the books I already have don''t really cover the topic in much detail so i''m looking for something quite in depth, does such a book exist and if so, any recoomendations? -Forxl "while(hungry){ stomach += chocolate; }"
--:D, F
Advertisement
I don't know of any game networking books, but there are several good winsock / winsock 2 books out there. If you want to pick one up and bounce theories around here, I'd be more than happy to help.

If you're comfortable with Winsock programming, take a look at DirectPlay and maybe buy a book covering it. At the core of DirectPlay is a message/transaction based system of communication. If you can create something like that using Winsock, you'll be well on your way. Just add the features you need, leave out the ones you don't.

Edited by - JonStelly on October 27, 2000 10:18:10 AM

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement