🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

A programming game!?

Started by
25 comments, last by Rhaal 19 years, 4 months ago
I'm not sure where this should go, but I have a sugestion for a game that might be fun, and that would definatly be usefull! Now, I'm just getting into OpenGL, and the more advanced (more fun) parts of C++, but every time I program, I have one big problem! And I'm more than certain that it's more than just me, who has this problem. Okay, so lets stop ranting, and get to the explaining huh? okay Every time i program or for that matter script on my page, every thing is going fine, until i build the program, or test run the script. Not always, but most of the times, it wont run... why? Well, it might be a missing a ";" at the end of a line, a slip of the hand while typing "windowClass.somethingsomething", maybe I lack a "="(in the "==") in a if/else statement. Whatever it is, it's normally smale, and even thought I of course have bigger mistakes then these small mistakes, they are the most anoying... right? "Bugs" are anoying, and sometimes can be a hard thing to find. What I would like to see, is a game, you can choose the language, i.e. basic C++, OpenGL, DirectX, Perl, PHP, Java... If the game is a sucsess, then why not add more eh? :) Starting the game easy, it gives you a simple code, with an error. You have to find the error, then fix it. At each "level" the code gets longer, and more advanced, and there are more bugs. You work against time, and get points for the bugs you find. Basicly, i think this will help all programmers find these nasty little "bugs" faster, and get better at debugging, at the same time, we will get better at coding and maybe even learn something. Any coments?
Advertisement
Quote: Original post by DarkWolf AS
Starting the game easy, it gives you a simple code, with an error. You have to find the error, then fix it. At each "level" the code gets longer, and more advanced, and there are more bugs.

You work against time, and get points for the bugs you find.

I've got a better idea. I can send you a whole bunch of my source files which need a lot of fixing. For each program corrected, you will get a positive rating on the gamedev forum. What do you think about that ? ;P

Cheers! :)
___Quote: Know where basis goes, know where rest goes.
HAHA!!!!

Awesome Idea, however there are lots of problems... see there are these things called compilers and parsers, which check for bugs... or more specifically, bring attention to bugs, the problem with that is the possibility of cheating. think about it.

cool idea tho.
So I could come from tearing my hair out at work to tearing my hair out at home?
Quote: Original post by Brandon N
So I could come from tearing my hair out at work to tearing my hair out at home?

Not just at home, on your cellphone on the way to work too!
if(this.post == SATISFYING){money.send(1.00,&HemoGloben);return thanks;}
i think they've already came out with a game like that (colobot, i think) but i doubt that u have to find code errors in that game
Cartman's definition of sexual harrasement:"When you are trying to have intercourse with a lady friend, and some other guy comes up and tickles your balls from behind"(watch South Park, it rocks)
I like it! Sure, it will only appeal to programmers, but I encourage you to make it. I definetly will play it once your done.
-----------------------------Play Stompy's Revenge! Now!
Great, why didnt I think of that, when your done debugging your own code you can waste more time geting frustrating instead of doing homework!

Instead of a game, what about an interactive tutorial that teaches you to find the errors faster...
"Are you threatening me, Master Jedi?" - Chancellor Palpatine
that's a funny concept... that would probably weed out those people whom only want to come into development on their own terms. It's not very often the case where you don't have to take over / contribute to some code that grates on you like fingernails down a blackboard.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.
And as a final level, you get the code for MS Windows. At this point you give up and contemplate changing careers...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement